[Granville-Hough] 30 Jan 2009 - Traditions and Prayers

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Jan 30 05:09:34 PST 2017

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:48:00 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Traditions and Prayers - 30 Jan 2009

Just for today, I thought I would give you my unsolicited response to
much bruhaha among West Point graduates about a few changes in the USMA
cadet prayer.  Such trivia keeps us old soldiers busy.

It may be worthy of note that Jesus, in giving us the words we call "The
Lord's Prayer," did not say we should use those exact words.  He just
suggested we pray in a certain way, a sort of mental check list.  And if
you note, you will see that it follows the two great commandments he
emphasized, the first one, Love the Lord, your God, with all your heart,
and the second, like unto it, Love your neighbor.
     In my lifetime the words of the Lord's prayer have changed from thy
to your, and from trespasses to debts.  Now trespasses and debts are not
the same in my English language, and I cannot say which is a more
accurate translation from the Aramaic.
     As for tradition, I am reminded of the old-time traditionalist from
Arkansas who, at the school trustee meeting, stated: "I want my children
taught the English language, just like Jesus Christ spoke it."  Several
levels of ignorance there about when and where the English language
started, but a heart-felt emotion, none the less.  Not
far from saying: "I want the West Point Cadet Prayer recited just like I
learned it."
     Times change, and I remember struggling with the underlying meaning
of certain phrases of the Cadet prayer.  As we develop as a people, the
meaning of words and phrases change.  Certain traditions become outmoded
and offensive to those who are affected by them.  Just think!!  Six
months ago, I was not familiar with the term "shove it."  Not any
longer.  And it was over sixty years ago when we learned those Cadet
prayer words.  Maybe time to fit the words to people born in 1990.
     So, Fellow West Pointers, vote your convictions.  Granville W.
Hough, D-2.