[Granville-Hough] 7 Jan 2009 - Different ways to think about God

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Jan 7 06:13:57 PST 2017

Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:49:46 -0800
Subject: 7 Jan 2009

    Different ways to think about God.

    One of my church friends gave me a present for my 86th birthday, a
little book entitled: _Good Morning, God_, by Carol DeMars Collins.
There is a message for each day of the year, each composed of three
parts, a wonderful quote from the Bible, a prayer to God wherein you
address Him as a friend and neighbor, and lastly a quote from an
insightful writer.  Now I suppose I have been always been in so much awe
of "Old Man God,"  that I have never felt I could address him as a
friend and neighbor.  It is a new way to realize that what happens in
our world is each day determined by what we individually do.  Or by what
we, along with God, collectively do.
    We might start a day like this: "Good Morning, God.  How are you
feeling today?  I want to tell you first that I thank you for the rest I
received last night; then, second, for the nice breakfast you allowed me
to select from our grocery store.  I hope you were not too worn out from
taking care of the earth and its beings while I rested, and that there
no great catastrophes on your schedule for today.  When I looked at my
*Los Angeles Times *this morning, I saw reports of many tragedies and
mistakes and of some heroic efforts when people remembered the lessons
of Your Son, Jesus.  Please give us guidance on what we should do on the
situations in our circle of contact.  Thank You, Lord, Amen."
    Well, that gives an idea of what it might be like to consider God as
Friend and Neighbor.  A few years ago, I got another viewpoint on our
relationship with God.  My brother Clifford Hough was once talking about
his life as a farmer where we had grown up.  He said that when he got to
heaven, he was going to ask God for a farm, provided with pastures for
livestock, fields for crops, and good neighbors.  He then described good
neighbors, and he said: "In fact, I think I will just ask God if he can
give Jeff McAlpin and me adjacent farms so we can be neighbors just as
we have been all our lives."
    Of course, one can consider this discourse at different levels.  One
is the complete faith that one is going to heaven and will be on such a
working relationship with God that one can ask and receive.  The second
is that you want to live through eternity next to your neighbor of more
than 70 years.  This is a wonderful tribute to Jeff McAlpin and the
bonding between the two.  I know how part of that bonding came about,
and I will give one example when I tried to be of help.
    But it is clear to me that in God's house there are many rooms,
suitable for very different ways to live, and were it not so, Jesus
would have told us.