[Granville-Hough] 11 Dec 2009 - Sad Thule Christmas

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Dec 11 05:19:43 PST 2017

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:18:52 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: SadThuleXmas - 11 Dec 2009

THULE: SAD CHRISTMAS

Those of us with SullivanÆs Hollow heritage have found ourselves in far
corners of this earth doing the tasks set before us by our country. Even
now, in 2007, I am sure we have relatives in Iraq, Afganistan, and on
the high seas. Their stories will be recorded in future days. I point
out to you the stories in Smith County Families, Volumes I and II, about
the WW II and Vietnam services of Orson Pratt Sullivan, G.R. Sullivan,
and Alvie G. Sullivan, and other stories about Wiley Jackson Ingram.
There are surely many other stories not recorded.
In 1962, I was just completing my first Pentagon tour of duty in Army
Intelligence, and I was scheduled for an overseas assignment. I had done
well in Army Intelligence and had received the Legion of Merit for my
insights and analyses on Soviet missile defense work. I had also become
one of the few Army people with access to sensitive aspects of
intelligence work, and it was considered a risk to send me to Vietnam. I
knew too much about ongoing operations. So, it seemed prudent to send me
to Thule, Greenland, to become Logistics Officer for the Artillery Group
protecting the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (BMEWS) radar and
the Thule Air Base. We had batteries of Nike Hercules nuclear warheaded
missiles. The Air Force fighters were to intercept Soviet bombers or
fighters way out, and we would protect the huge radar and air base close in.
Now, Thule was historically the ôend of the earth,ö and the Eskimo
village had been the base for the first operations to reach the North
Pole. We were close to the old village, but the Danish government had
moved the Eskimos about fifty miles away to prevent their contamination
from disease and other activities of soldiers and airmen. We were within
sight of the ice cap which covers all of Greenland, and we all, sooner
or later, had experience out on the ice cap. We were so far north that
our milepost in the middle of the air base pointed to Moscow in one
direction, and Washington, DC, in the other. It was closer to Moscow. If
you arrived there in the summer, the sun just went round and round,
never setting. Then from about 1 Nov until 1 Feb, there was no sun at
all. December was a month of total, absolute darkness, with the North
Pole straight up, overhead.
Our barracks was insulated and heated, so we could wear normal clothes;
and we had a recreation room with a pool table and other items. One of
my fellow officers was an Air Force major who flew one of the fighters
protecting the base. Each day in good weather, the pilots would do
training flights over the area. Of course in the dark season, everything
was by instrument once you left the lights of the base. You were also in
radar and voice contact. You flew out to your check points, then
returned to base. This officer was a quiet, unassuming young man who,
like me, had never played pool in his life. We teamed up to learn how to
play pool, and we had several interesting and humorous games together.
Then one day in December, he went for a training flight, and in one
sweep of the radar, he was detected on course. Suddenly on the next
sweep, he was not there. He simply disappeared. The direction of the
last indication showed him over the ice cap. I enclose a excerpts of a
letter I wrote at the time on 19 Dec 1962: ôàWe have had much excitement
since last Friday (14 Dec) when one of our pilots went down on the ice
cap (glacier). He is still there and hundreds of people are searching
for him. His food ran out today, if he is still alive. A helicopter
searching for him landed to search and went into a crevasse. The crew
got out. A C-47 searching for him crashed and two people were killed. (I
was told that, in the darkness and disorientation after the crash, they
simply walked into the still rotating propeller blades of the C-47). The
remainder of the crew was found (and rescued). It is pitch black dark
now 24 hours each day, and it is minus 40 degrees F on the ice cap. It
was minus 18 degrees here on base today. Each time I walk out, I see the
lights flashing out on the ice cap where the searching goes on and on
and on. I can think of no better reminder of things to be thankful for
than to imagine myself out on that ice cap, in the cold and darkness. I
think the base will have a sober and somber Christmas. We all knew the
pilot and the other people who were killed. The pilot lived down the
hall from me.ö (PS: The Eskimos from new Thule arrived with their dog
teams and sleds and helped bring out the bodies and other items from the
two known crash sites. I do not believe the fighter plane was ever
found. I never again played pool.)
Now, believe it or not, I was not the only one with Sullivan Hollow
connections to serve at Thule that year. My first cousin, once removed,
Lloyd Hough, born at Cohay Camp and partly reared there, was a soldier
in one of the Nike Hercules batteries. He had moved to Texas as a
teen-ager and I had never met him. We had several good visits and have
kept in contact ever since. Lloyd had finished his tour when this
December accident happened, but he did recall another incident wherein a
B-52 pilot fell out of his plane and was never found.