[Granville-Hough] 6 Dec 2009 - Ellesmere Island and Canadians

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Dec 6 05:07:05 PST 2017

Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 07:31:01 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Ellesmere Island & Canadians - 6 Dec 2009

   I was able to get to church today, this second sunday of Advent, and
no one mentioned Pearl Harbor.  I suppose I was the only one there born
before that time, and certainly the only one whose life was forever
changed by that day.  We went on to a normal service.    As I was
considering the kinds of things which happened at Thule, Greenland; I
recalled an incident and discussion with a Canadian officer about our
troubles with cold weather.  To back up a bit, the Cuban missile crisis
happened while I was in Thule.  I had premonitions it would happen just
about the way it did when we placed intermediate range ballistic
missiles at Dyabakir, Turkey.  I had prepared a thesis for the Air War
College on the probable effects of placing Soviet intermediate range
ballistic missiles in Cuba.  Then it happened.    Security suddenly
tightened, and one of the requirements became visual identification of
visitors.  Some high-ranking Pentagon civilian had scheduled a visit to
Thule and to the Canadian base on Ellesmere Island  to the northeast of
Thule.  The question became: How can we identify this fellow, who has
ever seen him?  Well, it happens I had seen him at briefings I had given
in the Pentagon, so I felt confident I could identify him.  So I found
myself waiting with a Canadian Liaison Officer for the plane to land
with the visitor.  I was to meet the Pentagon visitor and introduce him
to the Canadian Liaison Officer from Ellesmere.  That was all I had to
do.  I had no clearance for any information about what the Canadians
were doing, so I simply was to disappear after the identification.
   While we were waiting, the Canadian officer was quite free in his
remarks about what he considered the waste and inexperience of the
officers and men at Thule.  The various measures we took to handle
vehicles and men were things everyone in Canadian service considered
normal.  After all, the conditions on the northern Labrador shores and
in Hudson Bay were even more extreme than those at Thule.  Goose Bay,
Labrador, and Churchill on Hudson Bay were places he mentioned.  I
really had no defense for his comments, except that we had no one serve
more than a year.  Canadians apparently sent families for two or three
year tours to their posts, and they developed a great deal of working
knowledge about how to get along.  This was passed on to new people.
What I gathered from him was that he considered the Canadians could run
the whole BMEWS, along with its Air Force and Army protection, at about
one tenth the cost.  Well, the plane finally arrived, I did my chore,
and left the party, which went on to Ellesmere Island.
   My understanding about the Ellesmere operation was that is was mainly
to monitor activity in  and over the Arctic Ocean.   It was later that
nuclear-armed U. S. and Soviet submarines began to cross the Arctic
Ocean under the ice, so far as I know.  I never learned what other
activities were going on.  I never learned what the Pentagon visitor was
going there to see.  Apparently we had a very present interest after the
Cuban missile crisis to coordinate with the Canadians.
   I did not forget the Canadian viewpoint that we wasted a lot of money
and human effort in our approach to the Thule operations.  The Canadians
were probably mostly correct.  We did not catalog what worked and what
did not work.  Every year, we started with practical neophytes who had a
lot of learning to do as no one had left a record.
   With love to all, Grampa.