[Granville-Hough] 12 Aug 2009 - Arenders and Bishops

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Aug 12 05:07:49 PDT 2017

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:59:44 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Arenders and Bishops -12 Aug 2009

     The Arender children were those of Uncle Alhanan.  The Bishops
lilved on the edge of the Big Woods, an area of rugged hills and hollows
which extended from Mr. Rufus Yelverton's land all the way across to the
Rose Hill Community, 3 or 4 miles.  There were no roads, and no one
lived there.  My father wanted a place to graze his cows and Mr.
Yelverton offered to let him use the Big Woods.  My father did not want
his cows to wander off to where they could be rustled, so he checked how
far they could go in the big woods.  He walked and walked until he
finally came to a field and there was Rastus Bishop.  Of course, they
knew each other from Annual Baptist Association Meetings, so they had a
chat about the fences around the big woods.  My father was satisfied,
and our cows grazed there for the summer.  The Bishop family is best
described by my friend, Harold Hopkins.  Grampa Hough

===

Hi, Granville,

You don't  hear much from me these days.  Senility is creeping in on
little cat feet, and I have physical complaints (legs, hips) that I
suspect are effects from Type II diabetes, along with my antiquity.

I've noticed that you're kin to the Arender family. It's funny that I
never encountered anyone by that name until I reached High School at
Mize and there were two Arender siblings in my grade.  Clyde was a
husky, bumbling, friendly fellow who had speech impediments,  was into
football (as   was I),    playing on the line as a guard or tackle.
 He had a sister named Ruth, possibly a twin, since she was in the same
grade as Clyde. In any case, Ruth soon left school when she married
Clarence Bishop, a son of Rastus or Erastus Bishop (who lived in the
Rose Hill community),  and they opened a restaurant in Mize which
operated at all hours, along with a jukebox.  I don't know what ever
happened to them.     Erastus Bishop  among other things operated a cane
syrup mill in the Rose Hill community. None of the Bishops were mental
giants but Clarence Bishop was about as intelligent as these Bishops
came.  He was a couple or more grades ahead of me.  He had a younger but
taller brother  named Ethel -- older than I but several grades behind
--  who was into petty crime and fighting.  He was in one of Dub
Richardson's classes and when Dub took a semiannual notion to paddle him
he  had his hands full.  I don't know what ever happened to Ethel. He
was a real juvenile -- and probably adult -- delinquent and I'm sure the
pattern continued.  (Well, he was already an adult by the time he
reached the 6th grade at Mize Elementary). I   believe that the only
reason Ethel attended Mize Elementary was to play basketball. I was at
least in some of the classes he attended,   because I remember him
sitting in the back of the room so he cold spit tobacco juice out the
window.  I think Ethel must have lived out his days in Parchman or some
other confining surrounds, if somebody didn't kill him first.  Erastus
had a couple of daughters -- one named Wessie -- who was not like her
brothers at all. I think she married Evon Ingraham, or somebody like
that out in the Rose Hill neighborhood. For some years Wessie was
the /Smith County Reformer/ correspondent for the Mize area.

Erastus also had older sons named Jimmy and Robert,  both old enough to
be my parents,  and a younger son named  R.T., also older than I. RT was
so-so, not of very high repute.

I liked Clyde Arender, but I used to wonder if  he'd  survive into
adulthood.  I hope he did. It would be nice to think of Clyde in antiquity.

 Harold

(GWH) Clyde moved to West Texas with his older brother, Reverend Coley
Arender, and so far as I know, lived a normal life.  Ruth divorced
Clarence Bishop at some point and remarried. They were my first cousins,
once removed.