[Granville-Hough] 9 Aug 2009 - Death Comes to All

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Aug 9 06:48:00 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 06:44:22 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Death Comes to All - 9 Aug 1009

DEATHS OF THE HOUGH BROTHERS

In reflecting on RolandÆs death, let us recall his heart stopped while
he was under anesthesia on the operating table. It is my belief he felt
no pain, knew nothing when his heart stopped. His time had simply come,
and he had already made his peace when he resigned himself to and agreed
to an emergency operation. Undoubtedly Roland would have preferred to be
doing something else at the final moment, but we do not choose.
Recall that Dueward was moving a truckload of cows to market, and his
assistant was opening the barnyard gate. He just keeled over at the
wheel of his truck, and was dead. He was doing what he wanted to do when
his time came.
Recall that Rudolph was getting ready to go to Church on Sunday, a
church he had landscaped, supported financially, and dearly loved, and
he had his fatal attack and was dead in minutes. He was doing what he
wanted to do when his time came.
Recall that Clifford was planting peas in his garden and was making the
final turn to cover the seeds, and he fell off his tractor, so far as we
know, dead. The motor of the tractor was still running when someone
became aware. (It may be that I do not have the the details of
Clifford's death quite correct.) He was doing what he wanted to do when
his time came.
Recall that Harold had a long lingering death of a rare disease which
reduced him to skin and bones. Finally he took matters into his own
hands and refused to eat. He passes away quietly after weeks of
suffering. He was not doing what he wanted to do when his time came, but
he did not complain.
I pray to God that Donald and I will be doing what we want to do when
our times come, and that our hearts simply stop, even as did those of
Roland, Dueward, Rudolph, and Clifford. Please spare our families any
long lingering death; but if that is His will, please give us the
fortitude of our brother, Harold.