[Granville-Hough] 30 Jul 2009 - Crow Houghs

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Aug 1 05:18:59 PDT 2017

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:13:24 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: The Crow Houghs - 30 Jul 2009

    We learned about one other kind of working dog, the Australlian
Shepperd Dog, through my uncle Coley Richardson.  He lived with us one
year when we joined Grandpa Richardson.  I do not know how or why he got
this herding dog, but she would  herd anything, livestock, chickens,
cats, children  We did not know how to use her, and she caused us more
trouble than help.  When my brother Clifford got into cattle ranching,
he learned to train them and used them for several years.  My brother,
Donald Hough in Gainesville, FL, still uses them for rounding up his
cattle, separating them into groups, loading them into trucks, and for
doing all sorts of things you would not expect dogs to do.  My niece
Donna keeps them as her contribution to  the family ranching
enterprise.  I do not know enough about these dogs to discuss them as
individuals.
    Another activity I found to be of great interest was brother
Clifford's rescue of crow chicks and training them, or letting them
learn to be members of his household.  Crows nest in high trees, but
their nests come to grief during logging and plywood operations.  At
such times you can rescue baby crows before they have fixated on their
parent crows.  Crows are highly intelligent, and soon learn to
distinguish one human from another.  They accept "their humans" as
parents, and probably think of themselves as humans.  Crows can also
learn to talk, and some people believe their words are more meaningful
than those of parrots.  That is, they talk for a specific purpose, not
for amusement.
    I do not know how many Crow Houghs there were, but they had to share
the back yard with housecats, dogs, and chickens.  They soon learned
their sharp beaks could fend off any bullies who wanted trouble.  They
observed everything going on and soon heard the cats say "Meow, meow,"
and Betty, Clifford's wife, would open the back door and bring out some
milk  So Crow soon began saying "Meow, meow," and getting the same
reward as the cats.
    When Clifford and Betty's children were toddlers and tricycle riders
in the back yard, they would say, "Mama, mama," and get some cookies,
even better than milk  Crow listened carefully and was soon saying
"Mama, mama," and getting his share of the cookies, too.
    Crows never forgot that they liked worms, grubs, and larvae of many
kinds.  However, they wanted Clifford or Betty to give each one to them
specifically.  (Maybe this was the natural routine to avoid bad-tasting
or poison  insects.)  They would follow  their humans into the garden
and beg for handouts.  (I have now learned to recognize the begging
noises of young crows here in Leisure World as they learn to eat like
grown crows.  During June and early July, you could hear several at
once.  It is now the end of July, and I hear them no more.  They now fly
and act like adults.)
    Clifford and Betty let the Hough Crows join their wild cousins, who
would come look them over and try to talk crow language to them, but
these Hough Crows did not know how to act.  When the feathers were
allowed to grow to full length, the Hough Crows could fly well enough
and departed, though Betty thought they came by from time to time to
clean up any backyard scraps.  The Hough Crows would have to tell us
their own hardships as they established their positions and pecking
order in the crow world.