[Granville-Hough] 18 Apr 2009 -

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Apr 18 06:21:58 PDT 2017

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 06:03:24 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Hosea, the Prophet (14 Apr 2005/ -18 Apr 2009.

Just think!  It was four years ago when I sent this message. To
paraphrase an old reflection: "The Lord is good, the Lord is great,
blessed be the name of the Lord."

I had forgotten the episodes in Hosea's personal life, wherein his
wife was unfaithful, and he had to eventually buy her on the auction
block to prevent her being sold as a sex slave.  She appreciated the
rescue so much, she was faithful ever after.  Then the way the
evangelists proclaim it on the internet, this set the example for Jesus
to pay for all our sins with his crucifixion.  Our problem is to be faithful.
Next week I will do Amos.
    Now what can I find about Amos?  He was as pessimistic as Hosea was
optimistic  I will have to study it carefully.  I already know that he
was the prophet of the Just God, but how does one explain a Just God to
Job, who seems to have received the rawest of all raw deals. Truth is, I
avoid Job with Alzheimer's patients.  It is too close to home and heart.
  Maybe I should also avoid Amos.