[Granville-Hough] 5 Apr 2009 - Moonshine

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Apr 5 05:33:24 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 07:53:50 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Moonshine - 5 April 2009

    Today is the day the little kids march into and around in our
church, endeavoring to clobber the heads of friends  in the line with
palm fronds.  Fortunately, it is a kind of swish rather than a bong.

    When Harold Hopkins stated that Jakeleg paralysis was directly
associated with adulterated jake, I began to wonder about the other form
of paralysis we saw from people who drank moonshine, or Merry Hell
squeezins.  The advent of T-model Ford cars and trucks gave bootleggers
an endless supply of old radiators which could be used to cook off the
alcohol from the mash (or corn beer), though you could make moonshine
with any grain which would ferment into mash.  These old radiators
contained lead which contaminated the final brew, though it could not be
detected by taste.  Persons addicted to moonshine developed lead
poisoning, which began with memory loss, and graduated into brain
swelling, paralysis, and even death.  Soon the problem was isolated to
the old radiators, so bootleggers got rid of them and used copper piping
which was held together at joints with metal solder, which is basically
a lead compound subject to the same erosion as the lead in the old
radiators.  So at the same time we had jakeleg paralysis, we also had
moonshine paralysis, actually moonshine lead poisoning.  Out in the
country where I lived, we were closer to Merry Hell than we were to any
drug store where one could buy jake, so we made no distinction between
the forms of paralysis.
    Moonshine poisoning is still with us and eighty percent of U. S.
deaths from lead poisoning in a normal year comes from those who drink
moonshine rather than regulated alcoholic beverages..  In 2003, a study
of 48 moonshine samples .was made by Dr. Christopher Holstege, Director
of the Division of Medical Toxicology of the Virginia Health System.
Over half the samples contained lead levels exceeding Federal water
guidelines of 15 parts per billion.  One sample had 599 parts per
billion. 43 samples had lead , leaving only five with no contamination.
So, if you drink moonshine, you are going to accumulate enough lead to
have lead poisoning.  If you keep it up, you are going to develop
paralysis and die.
    So, when Grandpa Jim Richardson wanted a re-supply of his favorite
Cold remedy, he commissioned someone he trusted, generally Uncle Coley,
to get him some bonded bourbon, generally bootlegged into Magee from the
Gulf Coast or New Orleans.
    Our problems today are not with poisoned jake, or contaminated
moonshine, but with a variety of mind-altering killer drugs -- cocaine,
heroin, ecstacy, crystal meth, marijuana, and God-only knows what else.
Public officials, in the U. S. as well as Mexico, are corrupted daily by
the lure of drug money.  We of the U. S. are the major culprits, as we
furnish and support the market for the drugs.  We also sell to the
Mexican people the guns with which they kill each other.  And the daily
killing rate in Mexico, alone, is greater than the combined U. S.
casualties of both Afghanistan and Iraq.  And it's spilling over into
the U. S.  What shall we do?
    I can recall the onset of the Great Depression, and I observed that
you could make great social and cultural change in a period of economic
instability.  People will try anything when they are at the bottom and
can't do worse.  The time may be upon us to deal realistically with
drugs, immigration, climate change, and even things like divorce, and
birth control.  Your ideas may be better than mine, furthermore your
ideas will count more as you are younger and will be in control.

says, _Roanoke Times-Dispatch,_5-30-03; /De-escalating the Drug War,"
/editorial, 2 April 2009, _Los Angeles Times_; Scott Craft, reporting
from Rio Grande City, Starr County, TX, "/Blurry Border between Good,
Bad," /_Los Angeles Times_, 3 April 2009; Ken Ellingwood, from Mexico
City, /"Mexico under Seige - Suspected No. 2 figure in Juarez drug
cartel arrested," /_Los Angeles Times_, 3 April 2009