[Granville-Hough] 2 Oct 2009 - Keyes Family

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Jan 22 05:20:53 PST 2011

The Keys/Keyes Family.

One could well ask the question: If Wild Bill
Sullivan was such a mean, obnoxious person, why are his descendants such
nice, agreeable people? One forgets that Wild Bill, among all his
crimes, was never accused of adultery, and that his wife did most of the
nurturing of their children. She was Juriah Keyes, and the Keyes family
was on Cohay and probably on all its branches before Sullivans got
there. They had established themselves in Covington County just south of
the border of Choctaw land and merely extended their holdings northward
after the Indian land cession. I always had a bias toward the Keyes
family, as my grandmother had married Jeptha Keys, son of Benjamin and
Nancy, and her oldest daughter, my aunt Nannie (Keyes) Kennedy,
introduced me to stories of Sullivan’s Hollow before I was ten years
old. I believed the Keyes families were special people. The Sullivans
must have thought the same, as all sorts of Sullivans and Sullivan
descendants married into the Keyes family
I never traced the Keyes family so I do not know how Juriah and Jeptha
were related; but there was only one extended Keyes family on Cohay
Creek in Smith and Covington Counties.
While I was growing up in Smith County, I would see the local newspapers
and note the names of persons reported in some mayhem or unlawful
activity. I came to expect that there would be Sullivans, Harveys,
Gentrys, Warrens, etc, but almost never did I see the Keyes name come up
on those reports. They were not that kind of people. They seemed to
place a high priority on getting along with all their neighbors. Though
some of Wild Bill Sullivan’s sons seemed to gravitate toward his
example, the daughters did not; and the grandchildren seemed to think
Grandma Juriah was the better example.
So, if you meet a very personable Sullivan, or non-Sullivan, in Smith
County today, you may have met a descendant of Juriah Keyes, and this
person you met might just incidentally have had a male ancestor named
William Cicero Sullivan.