[Granville-Hough] 8 Jan 2011 - Harold Hopkins on Maypop and Mayhaw

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Jan 12 06:49:54 PST 2011

From: harold hopkins <hhopkins3 at comcast.net>
Subject: Maypop
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:35:59 -0800

I don't know whether Granville mentions it or not, but there used to be
a vine that grew in cultivated fields or wherever the ground was soft
and sunny in our part of Mississippi, and climbed plants or ran along
the ground.  We called it a maypop.  It had a pretty purplish bloom,
then produced fruits that were green, oval shaped,  and somewhat larger
than an egg.  They eventually ripened toward late summer and changed
color to a kind of orangish hue.  Once ripe, they became soft, sweet and
edible.  Whether green or ripe they were good  ammunition for growing,
throwing boys, and  more than once I was surprised while picking cotton
to be   socked on the back  of my head  by a ripe  maypop and feel the
juice run down my neck.   Once maypops gained a toehold they were
difficult to eradicate, as I found when I made the mistake of planting
some in my backyard garden in Bethesda, MD in the 1970s.    Maypops and
other species of this genus were called Passaflora or passion flowers.
I never saw any of the more exotic species until once when I was in  one
of the greenhouses at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC.

Speaking of May, there was also in our part of Mississippi a plant
called the Mayhaw that grew around places such as millponds, where
 the berries were harvested by raking the floating fruits from the
water.  I never had any experience with this plant and don't remember
ever seeing  one, but I did taste the fruits and one of the products
people made -- Mayhaw jam or jelly.  I guess you could say it was
somewhat similar to a cranberry.  As for millponds,  I should explain
that in pre-electric days,  millponds were created by damming up small
streams to create waterpower for corn mills or other such devices.

Both these fruits are Google-able.  Take a look.