[Granville-Hough] 20 Sep 2009 - Pokeberry

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Jan 8 05:13:18 PST 2011

  Pokeweed/Pokeberry plant, technically Phytolacca Americana of the
family Phytolaccaceae. “T. J.” grew up in Mize, so I doubt that he ever
had one of the Sullivan Hollow delights which grew near old cotton
houses or in the zig-zag corners of split-rail fences. This was poke
salad, made from the tender young shoots from the pokeweed plant.
Actually, it was not really a salad but a potherb, cooked exactly the
same as you would cook young turnip greens or collard greens. The roots
were poison, but the shoots came up and were delicious when cooked with
a few little pieces of salt pork. The Choctaws taught us how to eat them
long ago.
The plant, when not cut back, would grow to be three or four feet tall
and have bright red berries. You could dye anything with the juice of
these red berries, but the colors did not hold fast unless you used some
sort of stabilizer such as copperas to anchor it. My mother would let us
decorate our faces, or dye boiled eggs, or draw pictures, anything we
wanted to do with poke berries, as she knew everything would come clean
in her next washing with lye soap. I suppose the Choctaws also taught us
how to use the juice as dye.
Once in the eighth grade in 1937, I was invited out to have supper with
my pal Douglas Gibson, along with several other boys who were working
with us on a school project. We had some very good poke salad, which
Mrs. Ed Gibson, Douglas’ mother, had prepared. May God help us remember
our ethnic foods!

The new version of Lot's Wife. The Sunday School teacher was describing
how Lot's wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt, when little
Jason interrupted and said, "My Mommy looked back once while she was
driving, and she turned into a telephone pole."

If you grew up in the South in the 1930 decade, as Jimmy Carter and I
did, you remember a lot of things about racial discrimination, and the
veiled messages with racial overtones. You remember about poll taxes,
enforced school segregation, miscegenation, states rights, the lost
cause, state flags, separate rest rooms, and all the other baggage which
enforced the separation of the races. If you were born after WW II, you
did not see and learn it the same way. The old Confederate veterans were
gone, and their stories fading away. But Jimmy Carter and I remember and
we both say that what acts like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a
duck, associates with others of the same ilk, must be a duck.
 From his autobiography, Jimmy grew up in a more tolerant community than
I did, or maybe he had some advantages I did not have. We graduated from
the service academies in 1946, he at Annapolis and I at West Point. I
never met him, though I voted for him and later supported his efforts to
reduce disease in Africa and improve nutrition there. It happens that my
wife and children share a common ancestor with Jimmy Carter about seven
generations back. My Cole ancestors who with six other families fled the
Revolution by floating down the river system from the Holston River in
Virginia to Natchez in British West Florida about 1774/75 included a
Carter family which subsequently intermarried with my relatives so that
I am kin to lots of Carters, but I do not know that they are related to
Jimmy's family. As his and my families were traditional Southern
Baptists, it is possible they were related. Certainly there were
cultural similarities.
I am sure both he and I deeply regret what we are witnessing in the
public dialog. It is a backlash against our Christian heritage, a
backlash against hard-won progress, and a regrettable example for our
children to see and hear.