[Granville-Hough] 22 Oct 2009 - More Farmer Adventures in Jackson

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Feb 17 06:45:24 PST 2011

More Farmer Adventures in Jackson.

Our story of our misadventures peddling cantaloupes in Jackson reminded
Harold Hopkins, formerly of Mize, of his days as a news reporter in
Jackson for the Daily Clarion Ledger. One of his duties as a neophyte
was to check the police blotter each morning for possible stories. One
morning he was startled by the appearance on the blotter of the name of
one of his first cousins, one of the Roberts boys from Mize, either Earl
or Prentiss, jailed for vagrancy. Roberts had gone to sleep next to his
truck load of melons, then had been picked up in a police sweep of the
area. It seems that after WW II, Jackson developed a farmer’s market
where everyone had to go when they had produce to sell. Roberts was not
aware of this restriction, so learned about it the hard way. Harold got
him out of jail on his own recognizance and never saw Roberts again. (If
such a law had been in effect when we were there in 1937, the jail would
not have held us all. Besides, if we had told the Jackson police we were
all from Sullivan’s Hollow, they would not have risked having us in the
jail.) We finally sold our truckload of overripe cantaloupes for ten
cents per dozen and managed to lose $10.00 and a lot of sleep on the two
day trip. We hope the Roberts lad did no worse. They lived on the farm
next to ours.