[Granville-Hough] 9-12 Oct 2009 - Thornton and McAlpin Boys - Email Discussion

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Feb 15 06:17:42 PST 2011

Lost Thornton Boy – A Beat 3 Drama.

One of the saddest and most terrible stories I heard in my childhood in
Beat 3 of Smith County, MS, was that of the lost Thornton boy. Perhaps
he was a young man, but the story always specified Thornton boy. I heard
it from my grandfather, Jim Richardson, my father, Lisha Hough, and from
others I cannot recall. The characters involved were young Jasper
Thornton (Thornton boy), young Bill McAlpin (McAlpin boy), a spotted
white horse, probably the elder Bill McAlpin (McAlpin father), and a
clever Lawyer. This is a story which can be researched in the newspapers
of the day and the court records of counties adjacent to Smith County.
(The Smith County court records probably burned in the last court house
fire, but files of the “Smith County Reformer” probably exist.) It is up
to partisan descendants and relatives of the characters to do that
research. The time would be between 1886 and 1913, as Jim Richardson
lived in the upper Cohay community 1886-1904, and Lisha was in that
community until 1913. Part of the search for Thornton boy took part in
the Upper Cohay community. It is not clear in my memory whether it was
Lisha Hough or Jim Richardson who took part. (We now know the event was
in 1899, and it could have been either one or both.)
This drama took place in the Lower Cohay Community near Mize. I recall
that the division between the upper and lower communities to be roughly
at the Ace Johnson bridge. They were actually in separate beats, or
county divisions. Beat 3 was the southwest fifth of the county with
center at Mize, while the Center Beat held the County Seat at Raleigh.
Early settlements had been on Cohay Creek, which extended from near
Raleigh down past Mize and on into Cohay Beat of Covington County. The
creek bottoms had the only land fertile enough to support farming, other
than Leaf River, and they also had water. The sandy plains, or hills,
were covered with longleaf pine timber but were not fertile. These hilly
pine forests were part of the open range where deer, cattle and hogs
grazed. Roads generally followed the ridges, with extensions down into
the creek bottoms to fords across the creeks. Old Indian and game trails
followed the creeks into all their branches. If you got lost, you could
follow a game trail until you reached a road, but it might be several
miles covered with chiggers, snakes, ticks, and mosquitoes, all of which
made a living on game trails. Getting lost was not uncommon, but it was
always serious business.
The story as I, Granville Hough, recall it handed down, follows.
Thornton boy was the much-indulged son or young man from a well-known
and fairly well-off farm family. The family had been pioneers in the
County and held land near Mize. McAlpin boy was of the same age as son
of a Confederate veteran who had moved into Beat 3 just before the Civil
War. The families were neighbors, and their children roamed the nearby
Piney Woods and creeks together. McAlpin boy was not as fortunate as
Thornton boy as his family was not able to give him everything he
wanted. In spite of some economic disparity, the young men were best of
friends.
Thornton boy prevailed upon his family to give him a pony and a pistol
so he could hunt in the woods, shoot targets, or play soldier, as some
might call it. (The pony was said to be white, with spots, unlike any
other in the community, and easily recognized.) Thornton boy could not
wait to show his friend, McAlpin boy, these new acquisitions. Thornton
boy went over and demonstrated his riding skill, but the boys really
wanted to shoot the pistol. They decided to ride into the Piney Woods so
they could shoot the pistol without disturbing the old folks. So off
they rode double into the woods, with Thornton in front and McAlpin in
back, presumably to hunt or shoot targets.
Late that day, McAlpin boy returned with the pony and gun and the story
that when they fired the gun, the pony bolted and threw McAlpin off,
then ran through the brush with Thornton boy. McAlpin said he followed
in the brush and eventually found the pony and the gun, but no Thornton
boy. He said he had searched all day and had then come home. Of course,
McAlpin father notified the Thornton family and all the neighbors. At
dawn the next day, the community organized a search party and went into
the area McAlpin boy indicated they had been. McAlpin boy did not join,
pleading fatigue from his efforts of the previous day. When the search
party was out of sight, McAlpin boy was seen on a spotted white horse
carrying a shovel and going in the opposite direction.
The search party had fanned out through the piney woods and along the
branch creeks, but had found nothing, not even recent horse tracks.
Gradually the suspicion grew that there might be foul play, or that
Thornton boy might be injured or dazed wandering along the old trails
miles from home. This is when the search spread into the upper Cohay
settlements where Richardsons and Houghs lived. The word went out to
check out each buzzard column. (After feeding on a dead carcass,
buzzards would circle in the upward air currents to gain altitude before
heading back to their nests along Cohay creek. Their columns gave an
unerring indication of a carcass in the woods below. When a search party
got under a buzzard column, the odor of carrion led it to the carcass as
surely as it did the buzzards. It might be either a wild animal dying a
natural death or a dead domestic animal dragged away from a barnyard
into the woods.) The upper Cohay searches seemed to have concentrated on
these buzzard columns. It was about the fourth or fifth day when a
buzzard column led to Thornton boy. His body had been thrown into a
briar patch and someone had thrown shovelfuls of earth over the body to
cover it. The marks of the shovel were all around. Wild scavengers and
buzzards had consumed most of the body, but the skull showed a large
hole in back of Thornton boy’s head.
Everyone put together his or her own sequence of events, with the
universal conclusion that McAlpin boy had done the terrible deed through
jealousness, covetousness, or whatever motive one might prefer. McAlpin
father had the most intense and agonizing anguish a father can have. In
any trial in Smith County, McAlpin boy was going to be hanged publicly
until he was dead, dead, dead. What was McAlpin father to do? First, he
mortgaged everything he had in order to hire the best lawyer of the
area. (I cannot remember for sure who Clever Lawyer was, but the name
Anse McLaurin comes to mind as the default lawyer in desperation cases.)
Clever Lawyer asked for a change of venue because of the certainty of
how a Smith County jury of peers would vote. The trial was moved to an
adjacent county (I recall Jones County) because McAlpin had served for
some time in a Confederate unit from that county. Clever Lawyer was an
expert in how juries were selected in each county where he practiced. He
knew that the judge of Jones County would try cases on schedule even if
he had to send the sheriff out on the street to bring in adult males to
sit as jurors. With the change of venue in hand, Clever Lawyer sent
McAlpin father to visit all his old Confederate buddies in Jones County
to tell them his sad story and to ask them to show up on the day of the
trial. Now, McAlpin father had been an honorable and brave soldier and
part of their “band of brothers.” They could not refuse.
On the day of the trial, a surprising number of citizens previously
empaneled sent word that they were sick, or that there was a
communicable disease in their family, or that they had to attend a
funeral that very day. The judge turned to the Sheriff and ordered him
to empanel non-related adult males who had showed up for the trial. The
judge was soon able to seat a jury, most of whom just happened to be
former Confederate soldiers from the company in which McAlpin had
served. Just one juryman ex-buddy could have hung the jury, but there
were enough to give a clear “NOT GUILTY.” So McAlpin boy returned to
Smith County, scot-free. This ends the story as I, Granville Hough,
recall it. (Martha Miller remembers the Jury aquitted McAlpin, as the
only thing it heard was circumstantial evidence.)
Trivial Question: “Did McAlpin boy get to keep the pony?” No one said;
however, McAlpin boy is said to have grown into a swaggering bully
around Mize, especially shunned and feared when he got drunk. So it
would have been in his character to keep the pony. Actually, if he
admitted he did not find the pony or get it legally from Thornton, his
whole fabrication of an alibi became suspect. A former Mize schoolmate,
Harold Hopkins, has kindly provided me with the names of Jasper Thornton
as the victim, “Little Bill” McAlpin as the accused, and Bill McAlpin,
Sr, as the father (or grandfather). Harold also remembers the story
quite differently. What he heard in childhood was that McAlpin and
Thornton were travelling together to some unrecalled destination when
the tragic events occurred. McAlpin returned with the horse and claimed
he had purchased it from Thornton.
Harold also recalls that many people believed “Little Bill” was guilty
and were literally up in arms about it. At some time later, “Little
Bill” McAlpin was shot dead by unknown assailants in or near Mize. Part
of the story is that when “Little Bill” was shot down, he grimaced and
said, “Tell ‘em who shot me,” then expired. With the situation as noted
here, these words made no sense. Art McAlpin was told by a relative that
years later, someone in Chrystal Springs had made a deathbed confession
to killing Jasper Thornton. Art was also told that “Little Bill” was
killed when he stepped off a train at the Abel siding of the Laurel
Branch which was about two miles west of Mize.
The death story of “Little Bill” is new information to me. I must have
heard it in childhood but it did not remain in my memory. I often heard
it said about another McAlpin boy whose mis-behaviors were well
documented that he was trying to act like “Wild Bill McAlpin.” I
probably mis-heard the name and it should have been “Little Bill.” Or
the person talking could have confused “Little Bill” McAlpin with “Wild
Bill” Sullivan, another Beat 3 character of similar disposition and
equally violent behavior.
Some definitive information comes from a McAlpin descendant, Martha
Miller. The Jasper W. Thornton gravestone in Harmony Cemetery shows
1881-1899, which indicates an 18-year old boy, or man, if one prefers.
The gravestone for W. J. McAlpin in the same cemetery shows 28 April
1876 – 24 Oct 1904, which indicates a 23 year old man at the time of the
tragedy. Another account of McAlpin’s death shows year 1903. (This
establishes definite times of the events.)
Martha’s recollection of the story is that McAlpin was leader of a gang
of young men who had lost confidence in Thornton. McAlpin and Thornton
were last seen leaving Harmony Church together, then McAlpin later came
back with the horse and gun which he claimed to have purchased, and he
told Thornton’s parents that Thornton had decided to go to Louisiana to
visit an uncle there. The body was later found, Bill was arrested, tried
in Jones County, and acquitted as noted above. (This places the event in
the Harmony Church Community, near Mize.)
Martha had heard both versions of the death of “Little Bill;” one, when
he got off the train, and the other on the streets of Mize. In the Mize
version, Bill and his friends had ridden into Mize on their horses one
afternoon, shooting their pistols and terrorizing the people all
afternoon. No one was hurt in this display, but as Little Bill rode home
north out of town, shots rang out from all sides; and “Little Bill” fell
dying. In the context of this story, the words, “Tell ‘em who shot me,”
makes sense. It meant tell his friends or fellow gang members. There was
only one block of houses going north out of Mize, but no one could ever
be identified who knew anything about the assailants.
Martha had never heard the story of the death bed confession in Chrystal
Springs. It comes back to me that I also heard that story from my older
brother, Dueward Hough; and he was pondering what validity there could
be in a death bed confession. His question was, “How could this fellow
have been there?” It did not fit the image we had in our minds of
McAlpin riding behind Thornton and shooting him in the back of the head.
However, it does fit into the concept of a gang killing as remembered by
Martha Miller. In year 2005, we can admit that tellers and retellers of
the story for over 100 years have embellished it with their own
imaginary or erroneous details. Nobody’s version is uplifting to the
human spirit. Thornton4, 10 Jul 2005.

Granville, I'm sure you've seen this version before. Did you know it's
on the Internet? Here 'tis. Harold

Wild Bill Sullivan: King of the Hollow - Google Book Search
<http://books.google.com/books?id=HnCcwJ9Ds9QC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=little+bill+mcalpin&source=web&ots=aTEQogZYDK&sig=nQ5Vpzlc48O2ko0rZ34Rbbh7Brg>

(GWH: I had the book and read the story, but it had mentioned no
Sullivans: so I had no one to tie it to. I sort of forgot all about it
and gave the book away. Looking at the story again, it does support the
gang theory, with the possibility of a gang member dying later in
Chrystal Springs. Another point of interest is the statement that it was
"about 5:00 pm on the 29th day of search. This would account for time to
publish the known facts in the Smith County papers and to get people
from miles away to get involved in the search (as in Upper Cohay and
Little Cohay). There is some preciseness about W. Beavers finding the
body, beheaded and knifed but near some briers. This coincides loosely
with other versions. The date of Little Bill's death and the number of
shots in his body differ from his gravestone, but may be more accurate.
One inconsistency is the gang's singing "Hail, Hail, the Gang's All
Here." According to Google, that refrain became popular about 1917 as
part of "Alabama Jubilee." .

Granville,

My Grandfather was Zollie Bill McAlpin, he was brother to Farrell,
Drummonds, and the rest. My father is Arthur C. McAlpin Sr., his
brothers are L.C. and Zollie "Bill" McAlpin Jr..
Every telling of the "Little Bill" McAlpin tale, that I've come across,
is a little bit different from the rest -- everyone seems to tell it a
little differently.
Other than yours -- which I like, by the way and I think closer to the
truth -- and the account that appeared in the Jackson Clarion-Ledger on
the 18th of December 1949 (I looked up the date) by Harold Hopkins,
there was an account of the story published a few years back in 1980 in
a book called /"Wild Bill Sullivan: King of the Hollow"/ by Ann Hammons
of Titton, Georgia. You can look it up at Amazon.com and actually read
her account on line. She apparently got the story from her father Virgil
M. Howell.
As to it being Abel or Mize where "Little Bill" was shot, others have
always told me Mize, and Mrs. Hammons' book says it was Mize, but in the
newspaper article that Harold Hopkins wrote back in 1949, he says it was
Abel. I don't know who Mr. Hopkins' source was, but because it is the
earliest account of the story, I went with it.
Billie Jean McAlpin Hughes of Mize told me a few years back -- and I
called her last night to confirm this -- that her father, William Enos
McAlpin (son of Jesse Napoleon McAlpin) told her that a man in Crystal
Springs confessed to the Thornton killing, as well as others, before he
died. Billie Jean's husband, Harlon Hughes, confirmed this as well, but
neither could remember the name of the man from Crystal Springs, but
William Enos McAlpin had known the man's name and had shared it with
them, but they can no longer recall it.
When I find the time I hope to delve into the this story further, I find
it all very fascinating.
Granville, if you have any stories -- that you'd be willing to share ---
about growing up in Low, I'd love to hear them. Except for my two
remaining Great-Aunts, the rest of the family are gone now, and it's
getting harder for those who are left to recall the stories they heard
as children. Alas, I wish I, or someone, had started long ago collecting
these family stories, but....
Thank you for sharing yours with me. I enjoy hearing from you.
Take care, Art McAlpin