[Granville-Hough] 18 Oct 2009 - New Sardis Baptist Church

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Feb 12 05:07:06 PST 2011

NEW SARDIS BAPTIST CHURCH FORMED

    New Sardis Baptist Church was organized Oct 25, 1891 in Smith
County, MS.  (It began with members from New Zion Baptist Church. Though
the record does not say, its first meeting was probably at the home of
either Joseph and Margaret Sullivan or at the home of Jeff D. and
Frances Jane Sullivan.)  By request of the brethren and sisters, the
following were appointed as an ordinating council: Rev. Prier Anderson,
Rev. S. Mayfield, and Rev N. W. Gunn.  After preaching by Rev. N. W.
Gunn the three ministers formed a Presbytery with Rev. Prior Anderson
was elected Moderator.  He called for letters and Brother Joseph
Sullivan, Jr, and his wife Margaret, Brother N. C. West and his wife
Celia, Brother Elias Clark and his wife Cassie, and Sister Melinda Clark
presented letters, which were approved by the Presbytery.  The
Presbytery extended the right hand of fellowship to those received and
declared them an independent church to transact business for the Lord.
Brother Joseph Sullivan was elected Clerk, and Brother N. C. West
elected Deacon.  Visiting brothers and sisters were invited to extend
right hand of fellowship.  Resolved that the church would be known as
New Sardis, that the church have open conference at all times, that each
member hear the Rules of Decorum, that each member who did not follow
the rules of the church would have a committee talk to them.  If the
member repented and confessed, they would be retained; if not, they
would be excluded
May 1892.  There was a call for a supply (GWH: phrase for a preacher)
for the balance of the year, which resulted in the choice of Brother
Prier Anderson.
June 1892.  Agreed to hold annual (protracted) meeting in August and
invite ministers to assist: Z. T. Faulkness,  W. Z. West, J. I. Hitt, L.
J. Caughman, Chapman, and M. H. Braudas.  (GWH: Rev. W. Zeno West, named
for his grandfather and my great grandfather Zeno Hough, was brother of
Nathan C. West.  He normally preached at churches in Wayne and Clarke
counties.)
Aug 1892.  Association business considered, with Brethren N. C. West and
W. L. Allen to be delegates, and Joseph Sullivan and W. H. Allen as
alternates, and $1.50 would be sent as contribution.  (W. H. Allen had
been active in the New Zion Church.) The Association met at Sylvarena.
(The New Liberty Baptist Church Association had been formed in 1888 at
the Liberty Church in Smith County.  At first it included churches in
Covington and Simpson Counties, but around 1920, all churches except
those of Smith County dropped membership and it became known as the
Smith County Association.  My father, Elisha Hough, was a frequent
delegate to the Smith County Association from Old Salem on Upper Cohay,
and perhaps from Concord.)
    The other church requiring explanation is the New Zion Baptist
Church.  The original Baptist church was called Zion Hill, and it was
located somewhere near old
Bunker Hill.  This church moved as a body to its present location south
of Mize.  Some families who lived near the old church site decided it
was too far to walk to the new Zion Hill location, so they formed a new
church and named it the New Zion Baptist Church.  It was members of this
group who lived almost on the Simpson and Covington County lines
(Christian Ridge) who formed New Sardis.  It is my general understanding
that there was feuding and a killing in New Zion Church about 1900, so
that the remnant congregation plus others from New Sardis and from
Shiloh (in Covington County) then formed Oak Grove Baptist Church, and
New Zion was terminated as a church.  I cannot say that is exactly
correct, but it is close.
    I can say that the moving forces in New Sardis were Joseph Sullivan,
Jr, his brother Jeff D. Sullivan, and their brother-in-law Nathan C.
West.  Their brother Jack lived a little closer to Simpson County, and
their brother Eph lived over in Simpson County.  How religious Jack and
Eph were or how often they attended church I do not know, but they did
bury their family members in the new cemetery at New Sardis.  Allens,
Clarks, Wells, Harveys, and Gentrys, all Sullivan relatives, also took
part in this church.