[Granville-Hough] 12 June 2009 - The Book

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Sat Sep 25 05:32:22 PDT 2010

Sermonette for parents, young or old.

THE BOOK (Adapted from Public Speakers Library.)

Once upon a time there was a bright little Sullivan boy (not from the
preaching and teaching family) who observed there was a book which was
always on the living room coffee table. He sat down one day and began to
turn the dusty pages. The words were a little strange such as thee and
thou and some things did not seem quite right. There seemed to be old
letters, some pressed flowers, and things that were quite different from
the normal TV to which the child was accustomed. He did not quite know
what to make of it, so said to his young mother, “Mama, is this God’s
Book?” To which the good mother said: “Certainly.” Then the little boy
reflected a bit and replied: “Well, I think we had better send it back
to God, for we don’t use it much here.”
Now that was a wake-up call for the young mother. She well knew that
God’s Book was full of words of truth and grace. Indeed, the Scriptures
are sufficient to make us wise unto salvation. Christ says, we are
sanctified by them. Paul says, we are begotten by them. Peter says, we
are born again by them.
So, is your bible collecting dust and momentos on the coffee table or on
the bookshelf, or is it building understanding in the minds of your
children? It is your right to choose!