[Granville-Hough] 4 June 2009 - Commandments

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Sun Sep 19 06:30:24 PDT 2010

Perhaps if I looked at John Bunyan's work again, I would not find it so
dull.

TEN COMMANDMENTS: (As summarized in poetic form by John Bunyan).

Thou shall not have another God but me.
Thou shalt not to an image bow the knee.

Thou shalt not take the Name of God in vain;
See that the Sabbath thou do not profane.

Honor thy father and thy mother too:
In act, or thought, see thou no murder do.

>From fornication keep thy body clean:
Thou shalt not steal, though thou be very mean.

Bear no false witness: keep thee without spot,
What is thy neighbor’s, see thou covet not.

(GWH: I can only recall that John Bunyan was heavy reading, and I
perhaps never encountered this poetic version of the experience of
humanity. However, the Ten Commandments are forever with us in whatever
form they are written. Every child learned them in Sullivan’s Hollow
Sunday Schools, that is, if they went. Perhaps the greatest service
Charlton Heston ever performed was his portrayal of Moses receiving the
ten commandments in his epic film. Even people who never opened a Bible
could get the ideas.)