[Granville-Hough] 28 May 2009 - Taking your religion with you for 9 generations - final

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Wed Sep 8 07:36:07 PDT 2010

  As a logistics officer in Thule, Greenland, I learned that buildings,
as designed, could be quite different from buildings, "as built," and
that a prerequisite to repair is getting a copy of the "as built"
blueprint for that specific building. So it is also with prepared talks.
Following is my "as delivered" talk on our family participation in new
church activities.

TAKING YOUR RELIGION WITH YOU FOR 9 GENERATIONS

Thank you for this opportunity to talk about genealogy,
which is a study of our families and our communities.
It partly answers the question you may have asked yourself: Why am I who
I am? Or, why are you and I taking part in this new school?

I am going to illustrate this with the stories of one line of my family,
the Cole family. When my ancestor, Stephen Cole brought his family in
1720 from Northern Ireland to Pennsylvania, he and his children were
members of the Episcopal Church. They were not particularly religious,
but the people around them were Quakers and Baptists, so the sons were
soon marrying Baptists and looking for suitable land.

They learned in 1742 that George Robinson was forming a company to go
about 400 miles to the Virginia frontier where the Tuscarora Indians had
just lost a war and migrated to New York. So three of the Cole sons,
James, Mark, and John, joined that company and made the trip in 1743,
going west to Frederick County, MD, then across the Potomac, then up the
Virginia Valley to the Roanoke River. Their settlement became Roanoke,
VA. As soon as they got log cabins built, Mark Cole began to hold
Episcopal services each Sunday in his cabin as a Reader or Lay Leader.
However, his wife was Baptist, and I believe she joined others in
starting Baptist services. This was the first generation to establish
new churches.

Their nephew, James Cole, Jr, learned about the Baptist communities on
the Pee Dee River in South Carolina, so he went there for several years.
Then he heard that William Bean back on the Holston River in Virginia,
had flatboated all the way down the river system to New Orleans. That is
something he could do to avoid the war which was about to begin. So he
and six other families packed up and went 240 miles back to the Holston
River. Each family built a flatboat and they started 1400 miles down the
river system to the Natchez Country of West Florida. They navigated the
Holston, then started down the Tennessee. They knew they would have to
portage around the rapids known as Muscle Shoals, now in the
Northwestern corner of Alabama. Even so, they lost one family and one
flatboat there. The others portaged around the shoals, got back on the
Tennessee, went north to the Ohio, then west to the Mississippi, and on
down to the Natchez Country. They poled into a creek which became known
as Cole’s Creek, and reported overland to Natchez. They got British land
grants in 1778, in the middle of the Revolutionary War. They established
Cole’s Creek Baptist Church, the first Protestant church in what is now
Mississippi. They were the second generation to establish new churches.

After the Revolutionary War, Natchez came under Spanish rule. All
Protestant activity was suppressed, and the minister had to flee back to
South Carolina. The U. S. got the land by treaty in 1797, and the Cole’s
Creek people began to move south and east. My ancestor was another Mark
Cole, son of James. He helped establish Zion Hill Baptist Church of
Amite County, Ebenezer Baptist Church of Amite County, and Pierce’s
Creek Baptist Church of Pike county. In 1806, he was one of the
delegates to form the Mississippi Baptist Association.
He was in the third generation to establish new churches.

In 1833, the Choctaws ceded their land in Mississippi and moved to
Oklahoma. Five of Mark Cole’s children moved into this cession, and in
1851 helped establish Zion Hill Baptist Church in Smith County. My great
grandmother Susanna (Cole) Miller was a member, as were her brothers and
sisters. This was the fourth generation to establish new churches.

My grandmother, Nora Miller (Keys) joined Zion Hill in January, 1862,
and her husband soon after. He was killed in the Battle at Vicksburg,
and my widowed grandmother married Frank Hough. They moved to another
part of the county and were charter members of Fellowship Baptist Church
of Smith County. That was about 1880. That was the fifth generation to
establish a new church.

After WW II, my mother observed that farmers were leaving the area and
churches were closing down. She knew the farmers went to the nearest
town for all their business, so she joined with my brother and they were
charter members of Eastside Baptist Church of Magee, MS, which is a sort
of refuge church for isolated farmers. So they were the sixth and
seventh generation to establish churches.

I had gone to Mississippi State University just before WW II, and I
joined with classmate John Carter to start services in the Starkville,
MS, cotton mill section. We were doing fairly well, but I got inducted
into the Army and so did John a little later. The Cotton mill closed,
and the people moved away to wartime jobs. So the seventh generation
church I helped start did not survive.

My niece Carol (Hough) Linger and her family lived in Rogers, AR, when
their Baptist Church established a mission in nearby Bentonville, AR.
Carol and Russ Linger helped establish the mission and took their
children, then 13 and 8 to its services. It is now Calvary Baptist
Church of Bentonville, AR. So the eighth and ninth generations got
involved in starting new churches.

So, why am I here today? Why are you here today? It is a family
tradition we must follow. We must plant the seeds of Christian faith
wherever we live. When you get a break, I suggest you begin to write
down what you can about your family and its traditions. That would begin
your study of genealogy. Thank you for this opportunity, and may God
bless you all!

P. S. Pastor Bill Bartlett kindly suggested that I should consider
myself one of the founders of Crean Lutheran High School because of my
early donations. So I indeed did make a seventh generation contribution
to a Christian school if not a church..