[Granville-Hough] 22 May 2009 - Thomas Huff Descendants

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Thu Sep 2 06:30:31 PDT 2010

More on our LDS Cousins.

It may affect your approach to sharing records to know that a copy
of everything I ever published went to the LDS Library in Salt Lake
City, along with permission for the copies to be placed on microfilm.
(The only exception was the five Sullivan volumes.  Copies are in the
Library, but no permission was given to microfilm them.)
The Hough volumes must have been placed on microfilm, as I have gotten
queries through the years from England, South Africa, New Zealand, and
Australia.
     Three publications that Randy Huff, a current young LDS leader,
would not know about were those of Lou
Hough of Denver (on Bucks Co, PA and Loudoun Co VA), and the earlier
handwritten manuscript of Elida C. Hough (William Hough of CT).  I
believe I placed a xeroxed copy of Elida C. Hough at Salt Lake City, and
I encouraged Lou Hough to do the same for his two books.  These books
are not for our lines (in the U. S.) though they also go back to
Cheshire .  We now know we have matching YDNA, so we are distantly related.
	Lou did considerable research on William Huff of Brunswick
County, VA, and was able to prove he was not a son of John Hough of
Bucks County.  The best he or I could do is that William had been
recorded as Hooff in earlier VA records before Brunswick County.  I
believe this was Thomas Huff's ancestor in VA.  We have not yet been
able to get someone in this line to have their YDNA analyzed.
     With respect to the work of Ruth Wagner.  It seems to me that I knew
Isaac Hoff's grave was marked in Butler Co, OH.  He had served in the
Rev. War from NJ.  He moved to KY, thence to Butler Co, OH. I probably
got that
from the county cemetery records someone had published.  Anyway, Ruth
can get the pension record S4408, and the Veterans Administration  will
provide a marker for
the one missing.  It would be a suitable occasion for a DAR/SAR
memorial.  The Hoffs of NJ and NY have different YDNA from ours.  So
would the descendants of Moses Hoff, who became Moses Hough when he
moved from VA to KY.
	Only one branch of our Hough line joined the LDS.  That was a former
Confederate soldier, John Pleasant Hough, who served in the Arizona
Brigade of Texas, then settled from TX to Arizona
and who joined an LDS group there.  He married into an LDS family and
became a rancher.  They reared a family at Pine, AZ, and descendants
probably still live in that beautiful little LDS community.

PS.  "Can any policy; however high-minded, be moral if it leads to
widespread corruption, imprisons so many, has so racist an effect,
destroys our inner cities, wreaks havoc on misguided and vulnerable
individuals and brings death and destruction to foreign countries?"
Milton Friedman, Nobel Prizze Winner, Economics.