[Granville-Hough] 10 Aug 2009 - Sorghum Syrup

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Mon Nov 29 06:21:56 PST 2010

  Sorghum Syrup, the Long Sweetening for Moonshiners.

We lived at just about the northern edge of the climate where you could
grow sugar cane, and we had special techniques for handling the plant
through the winter and for growing it. We knew all about sugar cane and
making molasses. We also knew that, way back, people in our community
grew sorghum, and that, further to the north, people still made syrup
from sorghum. It had a tang quite different from regular molasses. I
liked that taste and decided I wanted to grow some. I believe the year
was 1940, so I got the seed and planted about 1/8 of an acre. It grew
beautifully and headed out in early August, so we knew it was time to
harvest it and make it into sorghum syrup. We began to get our
molasses-making equipment together when Mr. Billy Walker, who also had
eaten sorghum in his youth, offered to make it up into syrup for 1/10,
one container of each 10. He simply hankered for some old-fashioned
sorghum. We took the truckloads of sorghum stalks over to Mr. Walker’s
and helped him grind the stalks and cook the syrup. It was as good as
any sorghum I ever tasted before or since. I had some almost daily until
I left home for college in 1941. But the rest of my family did not like
sorghum as much as I, so they still had some on hand when
sugar-rationing began in WW II. Suddenly one day some Merry Hell
moonshiners appeared, asking if we still had sorghum syrup. My brothers
were glad to sell the entire supply to them. I have always wondered if
moonshine made with sorghum syrup tasted differently, but I never
learned.