[Granville-Hough] 3 Aug 2009 - Re: Fw: 2 Chron. 7:14

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Tue Nov 23 07:18:17 PST 2010

GWH "seek my face and turn from their wicked ways" implies action to me,
action by millions to save our planet. The prayer is merely the
question: "God, what can I DO to help?"

I have always been troubled by the phrase, "one nation, under God,"
which so many people would not visualize as one nation under a Universal
Great Spirit, but rather as under the stern old codger painted in the
top ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. We are actually "one of many nations,
with peoples who believe in different manifestations of a Universal
Great Spirit." Of course, we had just led in winning WW II, without the
"one nation, under God" phrase to offend our soldiers of other
religions. Then the phrase was added to forever confuse us old soldiers
who had learned the more universal version.

We do not rise as Christians but we do rise up as people of faith,
whether Christian, Moslem, Native American, Buddhist, Jewish, or
whatever. If we have no faith whatever, then we rise so as not to give
our neighbor, who does have faith, any offense.

Now I am going to be guilty of including a parable, which some may say
is not true, or is misquoted, or whatever. But others will remember it
as illustrative of how many Christians stood up in the 1980 outbreak and
identification of AIDS.

As you recall, Jesus had this persistent questioner who asked: "And who
is my neighbor?" and Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan.
In my version, here was this AIDS patient dying in a San Francisco room
with no one willing to risk contact to help him. Different ones passed
by, turned their heads and moved on. Then came along a high public
official named Ronald Reagan. His wife Nancy looked on the man with
compassion and asked Ronald if there was anything he could do. To which
Ronald replied: "Why should I do anything? This man got this terrible
disease by committing homosexual acts, violating California law and
God's law. Anything I do would interfere with God's just revenge." So
much for Ronald Reagan's viewpoint.

And Jesus asked: "And who is this man's neighbor?"