[Granville-Hough] 22 July 2009 - Teacher Chapman Sullivan - Will Rogers

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Thu Nov 4 06:44:52 PDT 2010

I knew Cousin Chapman Sullivan as a youth, but never expected him
to amount to much. He was not industrious in doing farm chores, and sort
of allowed tenant farmers to do all the work. Even when he went to
college and wrote his thesis for an advanced degree, there were those
who said his nephews probably did the work for him. However, I knew he
had a sharp mind and was academically gifted.
I feel sure he was a great teacher at Mize High School and that in his
teaching of history and civics, he often thought of the slowness of
legislative progress. One could apply those lessens to the current
Congress for the Republican era (2001-2009), or for the California State
Legislature in its present budget crisis.

A great analyst of his and my time once composed a “Diary of a
Legislative Body,” and it went like this: “Monday – Soak the Rich.
“Tuesday –Begin hearing from the Rich. “Tuesday Afternoon – Decide to
give the rich a chance to get richer. “Wednesday – Tax Wall Street Stock
Sales. Thursday – Get word from Wall Street: “Lay off us or you will get
no campaign contributions.” Thursday Afternoon – Decide: “We are wrong
about Wall Street.” “Friday – Soak the little fellow. “Saturday Morning
– Find out there is no little fellow. He has been soaked until he is
drowned. “Sunday – Meditate. “ Next Week – Same procedure, only more
talk and less results” The analyst was a fellow from Oklahoma called
Will Rogers.

His word and his vernacular were so respected that editors of America's
largest newspapers had standing instructions that no editor was to touch
his column for any reason. Every one was printed as written or spoken.
He was the "Walter Cronkite" of his time.