[Granville-Hough] 26 Feb 2009 - Re: Uncle Tillman Arinder

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Thu May 20 05:50:40 PDT 2010

Kendrick asked:

> The Arinders are on which branch of your family, Grandpa?

They are on my mother's branch.  She was named Nancy Elizabeth
Richardson.  Her grandmothers were Nancy (Bowen) Arender and Elizabeth
(Jackson) Richardson.  Her mother, my Grandma Richardson, was Mary
Alouethea (Arender).  (Grandma's grandmother was Alouetha "Letha"
(McCarty) Orander/Orrender. wife of Henry.).  Grandma Richardson had ten
Arender brothers and three Arender sisters.  Great grandpa Sampson
Arender was brother to great-great uncle Tillman Arinder.  The families
learned to read and write some time between the Civil War and 1890.
They were so proud of that ability that they kept the separate spellings
of Arender and Arinder.  As you go back along the migration routes to
South Carolina, then North Carolina, then Southwest Virginia, you find
those two spellings, plus Orrender, Orander.  When you get into the
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia where there is more of a German heritage,
you find an f added to the names, and it comes out as Ahrendorf and
Ohrendorf, and those are the variations in Alsace, a region of France
next to Germany.