[Granville-Hough] CalvaryTornadoes - 4 Feb 2009

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Mon May 3 08:53:11 PDT 2010

With regard to local tornados, Nephew Jack Neville who spent many years
as a professional diver, has seen tornadoes at land and sea, with the
funnels on land and the waterspouts at sea. They are always an awesome
display of the power of natural forces. Fortunately, most of us can stop
what we are doing and seek cover and wait out the danger. Sometimes we
cannot. I believe I remember a story of Uncle Tom Richardson driving
through a storm on the Gulf Coast and winding up with four flat tires.
Either it was his car or that of someone else he saw when he stopped at
a service station. Strange things happen.

Calvary Community Tornado. Several of Lazy Fed Sullivan’s family are
buried in Calvary Presbyterian Church Cemetery, which reminds me of a
very local tornado which struck the McNair/Burris homes across the
railroad and up McNair Hill from the church. My brother, Dueward Hough,
heard about the tornado; and we walked down to Calvary to see if we
could help. Or, it may have been morbid curiosity. Anyway we got there a
few hours after the event and saw the damage. I believe it was one of
the Burris homes where I saw one of those things which can never be
explained. The front porch had been sheared off, then pitched over the
house into the back yard. I have wondered all my life how the wind
forces could do such a thing, but there it was. There had been no loss
of life, but I am sure church attendance was up at Calvary for several
weeks. People who had no storm pits probably began to look for a
suitable place to build one.
My brother, Clifford Hough, had a different solution to the storm pit
problem. He built his home with a cellar, equipped with sump pumps to
take care of any water seepage. He used the longleaf pine logs from the
Frank Ware home as the pillars to support the house and its floor. In
case of a violent storm, he simply went down into his cellar. It remains
a very functional home, and the basement has probably been used many
times as a storm refuge. The storm cellar did not however protect from
lightning strikes which frequently came with local storms. At least once
the home was struck by lightning and the force of the bolt hit the
ground next to the house and tore up the ground. I saw this damage
later, and I think the house was protected by lightning rods with a
cable connecting to the rods to the ground.
My brother Dueward was living in the original Hough home, which we had
rebuilt. There was a functional barn nearby which was hit by lightning
during a local storm, and this bolt knocked off a whole side of the corn
storage crib. There was a big oak tree, which was a wonderful shade in
front of the house, and we always joked that it was to catch the
lightning so it would not hit the house. It failed to do its job when
the lightning bolt hit the barn.
The entire community had a working rule, "never draw water when a
thunderstorm is in sight." The wells were drilled down 100 feet to the
underground aquifer and you drew water in a bucket and windlass. The
well of course had curbs which went down to the water and made a perfect
conduit for lightning seeking an electrical ground. One of our Sharon
Community neighbors was killed while drawing water, and we read about
similar deaths in other places. If you needed water during a storm, just
put a washtub under the eave of your house and get all you wanted. It
tasted better, too, as it had no minerals. I always enjoyed sharing a
drink from a washtub with our collie dog /Sharp./

I got a nice reply on the Calvary Tornado which I will include.

    Simpson County Disasters.  One of the tornados mentioned by Harold
Hopkins must have been the one which hit the Pine Grove Community, which
was the first Baptist community west of Shady Grove.  Like Concord, it
was a county line community but with the church in Simpson County.  Some
children went to Old Hickory and Magee schools and some went to Shady
Grove and Mize schools.  As I recall it, this tornado hit the community
and destroyed one home, killing the lady of the house, I believe, a Mrs.
Hughes.  It also did extensive damage to other homes and farms.
Somehow, we got to drive through the area and see the damage.
    I may be wrong, but I believe there was another storm between Pine
Grove and Magee, which destroyed several homes, one being that of Mr.
Willis Purvis.  Mr. Purvis was hit by debris and knocked unconscious.
He was said to have come to in his barnyard with a cow lying on his
legs.  Anyway, I visited Mr. Purvis with a mare when he had a breeding
jack, but I never asked him about the storm.  He did have a new house.
    With regard to lightning, my brother Clifford Hough bought a farm on
the Mize-Magee highway which had come into the possession of Bob
Everett, merchant of Magee.  The land joined Clifford's land for some
distance, so he just made it all into a big pasture.  It had a big shade
tree in an open area, and his cattle often rested there.  In a
thunderstorm, they all gathered under this favorite shade tree.  It is
my understanding that lightning struck the tree and killed the whole
herd.  This was in Smith County, about a quarter mile from the county
line.  It was a real disaster for Clifford, as he lost his cattle, then
had to dispose of all those carcasses in short order.  I believe he had
to hire backhoes  to dig pits for burying them.
    I do have Harold Hopkins' account on storm pits, which I will
include in the next two days.