[Granville-Hough] 30 Mar 2009 - Uncle Amos

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Fri Jun 25 06:22:37 PDT 2010

  There are those who said Uncle Amos was the black sheep of the 14
Arender children. Here are the reasons.
Did Uncle Amos Do It? (updated)

My father, Lisha Hough and my grandmother Mary Richardson generally got
along like two peas in a pod, but there was one subject which caused
heated disagreement. We learned never to mention it in the presence of
either. The question was: “Did Uncle Amos Arender kill the contract mail
carrier, Moses Boone?” Lisha Hough said yes, with a lot of support from
the people, the court, and the circumstances. Grandma Mary said no with
the absolute conviction of a devoted sister and on other circumstances
and rumors. My brother, Dueward Hough, talked years later to some
distant neighbors in the Shady Grove Community to our north and became
convinced that evidence was suppressed which would have freed Uncle Amos
and incriminated other people. I remember his informant by the surname
of Butler.
Why was Moses killed? Apparently it was a robbery or hold-up gone wrong.
Someone must have thought the mail carrier had money or other valuables.
One report is that the robbers had handkerchiefs over their faces, but
that Amos Arender’s handkerchief fell off his nose, exposing his face.
Moses had to be killed because he would report Uncle Amos as one who
robbed him. Just exactly who killed Moses among the robbers became the
question. For some reason, Uncle Amos became suspect and could not prove
he was not present. It is not known that he even had a gun, but he was
tried and convicted. My recollection of the story is that he did not
take the stand. So my mother’s first recollection of that family was of
her Aunt Kate (Kennedy) Arender and her children moving in with Lizzie’s
grandparents, Sampson and Nancy Arender in the upper Cohay community.
Where Uncle Amos had lived before, I never learned. Lizzie found Aunt
Kate to be a person of charm, natural beauty, and kindness. She became
Lizzie’s favorite aunt, whether by blood or marriage. Lizzie was
probably playmates with the oldest daughter, though Lizzie only
mentioned Aunt Kate in general discussions about the family.
When Uncle Amos was born in 1872, older sister Mary was seven and
probably became his “little mother” and caretaker. Mary would brook no
evil words about Amos or his family. I remember nothing about Moses
Boone or about the time or place of the homicide, but I would guess it
was before 1900. Anyway, when Lizzie first became specifically aware of
the family, Uncle Amos was in prison with a long sentence. The story I
heard in childhood was that his parents had engaged Anse McLaurin to get
him out. It took several years but Anse was successful. (Anse McLaurin
was a former Governor and possibly U. S. Senator whose skills as a
lawyer were renown.)
Maxine Watts remembers another story told by Uncle Thomas Richardson
about how Grandpa and Grandma Arender got Amos out of prison. For this
story to be true, it must have been that the state prison was still near
Jackson, not at Parchman where I remember it. Grandma Arender is said to
have decided Amos had been in prison long enough. She directed Grandpa
Arender to hitch up the mules to their wagon and drive to Jackson to get
Amos. This they indeed did. On arrival, they went into the Governor’s
office (presumably in the Old Capitol Building) to tell Governor James
K. Vardaman (“The People’s Choice”) they were there to see him. The
secretary asked if they had an appointment. Grandma Arender assured him
they had no appointment, but had driven fifty miles by mule and wagon
from Smith County to see the Governor on urgent business. (One must
remember that Grandma Arender at the time was a very large woman,
weighing over 300 pounds, with a powerful voice, and had had 14
children.) The secretary must have explained to the Governor, who agreed
to see the couple after his regular appointments. Governor Vardaman then
heard their story that Amos had been in prison long enough, as there
were doubts that he had done the crime at all. He explained it would
take time to study the case, go to a Parole Board, get a review, and
hopefully get Amos released. Grandma Arender assured him, “We will wait
right here. You do what you have to do. But we have come to take him
home. We have little children at home, please work as fast as you can.”
So Grandma takes the largest chair in the Governor’s office, and settles
down to wait, all 300 pounds of her. She seemed impervious to any
suggestions that she go to a hotel, or go back to her wagon to wait.
Governor Vardaman must have considered his options, his public image,
and his political future. How could he get Grandma Arender out of his
office without doing damage to his calling card, “The People’s Choice?”
The end result was that he found a way to let Amos go home. Whether it
was a pardon, a furlough, or a suspension is not clear. Grandma and
Grandpa Arender drove out of Jackson back to Smith County with Uncle
Amos in their wagon. Governor Vardaman had averted a crisis in his
office. It may have been one of those events which he did not record in
the daily journal of official actions. (That Anse McLaurin became
involved may not be inconsistent with this version. He may have
completed the paper work. Or it could be that his involvement was in the
later ox case.)
In the long wait with Amos in prison, Aunt Kate had finally given up and
had left the community with a man from near Raleigh named ??? Grant.
They were said to have set up housekeeping as a married couple and
family in Pearl River County. As soon as Uncle Amos was free, he tracked
them down. He assured Aunt Kate and Grant he came in peace; he just
loved Kate and wanted her to know he would take her back, or he would
give her a divorce and let her go with Grant. It was up to Aunt Kate to
choose. It is said Uncle Amos said: “ I’m so sorry you cannot be two
Kates. Then I could have one and Grant could have one.” Finally, Aunt
Kate chose Amos. (The logic of this decision escaped every one concerned
at the time; but it may have been Kate’s intuition that Amos wanted her
and would likely kill Grant to get her, promises notwithstanding. So her
decision may have saved Grant’s life.) She and Amos apparently came back
to Smith County to live. What Grant did I do not know.
Uncle Amos then had another disaster. He had a neighbor with an ox which
was a very good work ox. Uncle Amos offered to swap for the ox, he
offered to buy it; he pleaded for it, but the man would not part with
his ox. So Uncle Amos finally just plainly and simply took it. When the
man reported that Uncle Amos has stolen his ox, the case was tried, and
Uncle Amos went back to prison for another year. To my father, the ox
case indicated Uncle Amos was one of those persons with uncontrollable
desires. If he saw something he wanted, he would kill to get it. Grandma
Mary would not discuss the ox case.
Uncle Amos was still in MS in 1910 but moved to LA at some point and
died there in 1926. What happened to his children? Some of the daughters
had married and remained in Smith County. Uncle Tom Richardson only
shows one Arender son in the Amos family.
Another story I heard from Aunt Terry Richardson is that one of her
Arender first cousins settled in AR just west of Memphis. He was a
wife-beater, and one day his grown son got tired of seeing his mother
beaten and got into a fight with his father and shot and killed him.
This was all in the Memphis papers, and Aunt Terry, who lived in
Memphis, went over into AR to try to help. I cannot say what she did or
could do, but my impression at the time was that the first cousin was
son of Amos. That could be entirely wrong as there were ten Arender
uncles and Aunt Terry surely had over 30 Arender first cousins.
In my Bible Study sessions for Alzheimer’s patients, at least yearly we
go through the ten commandments. I probably spend more time on the
words, “Thou shalt not covet…neither thy neighbor’s ox nor his ass,”
than anyone ever before heard. But coveting to me also covers gambling
in all its forms. So I am a social and religious maverick because of my
life experiences. Uncle Amos and his neighbor’s ox still influence me.
(Note: Maxine (Richardson) Watts of Poplarville, MS, was daughter of
Luke and Joan (Sullivan) Richardson, and is thus my first cousin.
Recently, among her family heirlooms she found a campaign pin for James
K. Vardaman, “The People’s Choice” c 1900, which she was able to give to
a grandson of Governor Vardaman in Hattiesburg, MS. He proudly displays
it. Maxine was able for some time to work with Uncle Thomas F.
Richardson in recording family stories, one of which is the one about
the wagon trip to Jackson to get Uncle Amos.)

P. S. 6. "Take it from a businessman: The War on Drugs is just money
down the drain." Gary E. Johnson, Governor, New Mexico, 1995-2003.