[Granville-Hough] Reflections - 27 Mar 2009

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Tue Jun 22 05:49:04 PDT 2010

My latest report on the tornado which hit Magee, MS, is that no deaths
have been found, though 20 were injured, 2 severely.  I am sure there
will be follow-up reports from our relatives as damage is assessed.  The
economic situation was bad enough, but to have your homes, barns, and
property torn to splinters and blown far away leaves one in despair.  I
had a different sort of message for today, but I am thankful if the
report is true that no one died in the Magee tornado.

DEATHS OF THE HOUGH BROTHERS

  In reflecting on RolandÂ’'s death, let us recall his heart stopped while
he was under anesthesia on the operating table in a Methodist Hospital
in San Antonio, TX.  It is my belief he felt
no pain, knew nothing when his heart stopped.  His time had simply come,
and he had already made his peace when he resigned himself to and agreed
to an emergency operation.  Undoubtedly Roland would have preferred to
be doing something else at the final moment, but we do not choose.
  Recall that Dueward was moving a truckload of cows to market from his
home in Smith County, and his young assistant, Mr. Thornton,
was opening the barnyard gate.  Dueward just keeled over at the wheel of
his truck, and was dead.  He was doing what he wanted to do
when his time came.
  Recall that Rudolph was getting ready to go to Church on Sunday, a
church in Columbus, MS, he had landscaped, supported financially,  and
dearly loved, and
he had his fatal attack and was dead in minutes.  He was doing what he
wanted to do when his time came.
  Recall that Clifford was planting English peas in his garden in Smith
County and was making the
final turn to cover the seeds, and he got off his tractor, and was found
dead a few minutes later. He was doing what he wanted to do when his
time came.
  Recall that Harold had a long lingering death in Columbia, MS, of a
rare disease which
reduced him to skin and bones.  After weeks of suffering, he finally
took matters into his own hands and refused to eat.  He passed away
quietly in a few days.  He was not doing what he wanted to do when his
time came, but he did not complain.
  I pray to God that Donald and I will be doing what we want to do when
our times come, and that our hearts simply stop, even as did those of
Roland, Dueward, Rudolph, and Clifford.  Please God, spare our families
any long lingering death; but if that is Your will, please give us the
fortitude of our brother, Harold.
  With regards to all, Granville.

P. S. 3, "...We need at least to consider and examine forms of
controlled legalization of drugs." So said George Shultz, former U. S.
Secretary of State.