[Granville-Hough] 21 Apr 2009 - Peas and Goobers

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Tue Jul 20 06:02:02 PDT 2010

Field Peas and Hog Goobers and Chufas

There were two legumes we used which Aunt Nannie (Keyes) Kennedy said
came from South Carolina with the Miller family. She have learned about
them from her grandfather, Hiram Miller, when she was a child growing up
in Sullivan’s Hollow with Ben Keyes, Hiram Miller, and Frank Hough. The
first was field peas, which were planted in the corn fields at lay-by
time between the rows of corn. The corn would have the plant nutrients
it needed until September, then the peas would grow along until frost in
November. We loved to eat these fall field peas, and we planted some
member of the “crowder” family, far more tasty than the black-eyed peas
supposed to be a Southern specialty. We gathered the corn in October,
then turned the hogs into the fields to harvest any peas or corn we had
missed. The pea plant was also a legume which added nitrogen to the
soil. As there was no commercial fertilizer available, this nitrogen,
and any available cow manure were used to enhance yields. Though in my
time we also used commercial fertilizer, we still followed these
practices until about 1935, when we started using vetch and other more
winter “cover crops” to add nitrogen.
The other legume we used was a variety of peanuts which we called hog
goobers. This variety had seedpods which was large and heavy with oil,
and they broke off in the earth when you pulled up the plant. With the
typical varieties of peanuts, you pull up the plant and you have the
peanut pods clustered together, and you simply pick them off the plant.
For this variety, you had to plow up the plants, or turn the soil, in
the same way we gathered sweet potatoes or Irish potatoes. Or we could
let the hogs do the work of gathering. Hogs could find those goobers as
readily as they find truffles in France or Italy. And they got fat on them.
There must have been other techniques of farming swampland which Hiram
Miller inherited from his SC forefathers. For one thing, it is said he
was one of the leading rice growers in Smith County and on Ocohay Creek.
The agricultural censuses of 1850 and 1860 confirm this. My grandfather
Richardson also spoke of growing rice for home consumption on Upper
Cohay. My father never grew any, nor do I remember him discussing it. So
the growing of rice was forgotten some time before 1900.
We like to experiment with unusual plants, and one which was quite
successful was chufas. We got the chufa nuts and planted them on a sandy
hillside, and they continued to grow there each year until we placed
that field in a pasture. The chufa is an African plant of the sedge
family, and the raisin size nuts are brown and bumpy and taste like
chestnuts. You have to pull up the whole plant and find the nuts among
the roots. In Spain and Mexico, they are used as a base for a drink,
HORCHATA. They must be ground up or soaked in some way we did not know.
When dried, they will last a year in a refrigerator. Of course, we had
no electricity and just ate the chufas as a snack. It was difficult to
get all the grains of sand off the chufas, and I remember them as
crunchy with grains of sand. I believe the chufa nuts are also known as
earth almonds, earthnuts, or tiger nuts. Next time I am near a Hispanic
food outlet, I will look for Horchata, and for chufas.