[Granville-Hough] 19 April 2009 - Stones

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Sat Jul 17 05:37:28 PDT 2010

Our church is in the midst of a fund-raising
campaign to improve its facilities. I prepared this story to encourage
others to help. We can do great things if we keep the vision in view,
and work some each day to bring it into reality.

STONES FOR OUR CATHEDRAL

When you visit Europe and have the privilege of walking through one of
the great cathedrals, you can ask yourself: “What were the people like
who built these wonderful edifices to the Glory of God?” “What church
teachings inspired them to do it?” You can even do historical and
genealogical studies to identify the individuals who did the work. What
do you find? To the amazement of many, they were just like us, in fact,
they were OUR ancestors.
We know that the Protestant Reformation came 31 Oct 1517 with Martin
Luther, and that was just about the end of cathedral building. Before
then, we were Catholics, some for 500 years, some for 1000 years, and
some 1500 years. Genealogically speaking, we know that we each descend
from just about every living person in Europe 1000 years ago who today
has descendants. So we all have a Catholic heritage, and we all built
cathedrals. (Our brothers and sisters of Asiatic heritage have similar
traditions in other beliefs.)
When we look at the marvel of cathedrals, we consider the Catholic
Church must have been rich indeed. Not so! Medieval life expectancy was
short and brutal. The populations were small and afflicted with plague,
pestilence, war, and poverty. Financial resources were scarce; yet OUR
ancestors persevered for 100, 200, or 300 years, each making a
contribution. They had dreams and visions of what could not be seen. An
expanded apocryphal story may illustrate the point. Please remember we
are not talking about imaginary people, but about OUR OWN ANCESTORS.
Nearing the end of his life, the old grandfather led three young
grandsons to piles of stone in a field. He pointed to one pile and said:
“These are the stones I moved from the quarry to the site of OUR
cathedral. Now you must shape the stones and put them into place.” The
grandsons grew up and one day found themselves working together on the
stones in the field. A traveler came by and asked what they were doing.
One said, “I’m breaking these big stones into smaller ones.” The second
one said, “I’m making a living and feeding my family working on these
stones.” The third said, “I’m building OUR great cathedral.” All three
were speaking the truth, but only one remembered the vision.
What we are about in our church will not be done in a week, a month, or
a year. As I place my small pile of stones in the field, I do hope it
will not take 100 years for them to be helpful. May God guide us in our
efforts!. Granville.