[Granville-Hough] 9 Sep 2009 - Mischief

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Dec 29 06:12:19 PST 2010

Mischief – Farrell McAlpin

Our community mischief maker was Farrell McAlpin, but he was accused of
more things than he was capable of doing. Others of his age group must
have been aiding and abetting. Farrell lived on the next farm and was a
frequent visitor in our home. He was in Harold and Dueward’s age group,
and he and Dueward Hough were lifetime friends, even cronies. My view as
a youngster was that he was the meanest man in the world, certainly in
our very local world. None of our Sullivan neighbors were even close.
In the presence of my parents, Farrell was an example of respect and
decorum. His real personality came out when no adults were in sight. In
school, he was considered dull and slow. In fact, he was just
indifferent to academic work. In the pursuit of some mischief, he could
be innovative and brilliant, using knowledge and insights others did not
have. Some of his activities could have been tragic.
One such near tragedy was on one of our trips to the swimming hole on
Clear Creek near Milton and the old mill dam there. Farrell came over
one day and suggested we go swimming. My father allowed Harold to drive
our T-model truck, so we all got in and off we went to the swimming
hole. I was about four and the youngest one. Farrell was about 14. We
were having a great time, with the big boys jumping into the creek with
great splashes. Farrell suggested I jump in and he would catch me. The
water was about waist deep for him, but well over my head. I did this
several times, and it was great fun. Farrell always caught me before I
went under. The next time, he did not catch me and I went under. Then
when Farrell grabbed me under water I was threshing about and he could
not hold me. Everybody helped catch me and dragged me out, half
strangled. From that day on, I had water phobia. If my head goes under
water suddenly, I have an involuntary reaction and suck water into my
lungs. It affected my three years at West Point, and I was only able to
pass the 200 yard swimming test after everyone else had qualified and I
was the only one left to compete in the pool. That was the week before I
graduated. Now when I swim daily, I do so in a pool where I can stand
up. So Farrell continues to affect my life to this day.
One of Farrell’s reputed stunts was to release a buzzard, freshly
painted white, into prayer meeting at Concord Baptist Church. Farrell
denied it, but he was there; which was sufficient for the community.
What intrigued me was how he was able to capture a buzzard. I never
asked him, as I was not sure I would get a straight answer. I did ask
him once if he had ever seen the buzzard roost on Cohay Creek near Mize.
Yes, he had seen it, and he described what it was like. The nests were
high in trees which were covered with white droppings. The place smelled
pretty bad as the buzzards brought back carrion to their fledglings in
the nest, regurgitated it, then the fledglings gobbled it down the
second time. The fledglings were white until they got their flying
feathers, which were dark brown or black. No one bothered the buzzard
roost because the buzzards performed a community service and their nests
were as far away from humans as they could get. There was also a public
sentiment about not disturbing any buzzard roost. So I concluded that
Farrell has studied the buzzard roost but had decided it was too nasty
and slippery to climb the trees and capture a buzzard.

I think Farrell just found a local dead animal carcass and set a bird
cage trap next to it, until he caught a suitable buzzard. He then
tethered the bird until he was ready to apply the white paint for the
prayer meeting episode. (I got some support for this conclusion when
Farrell made some knowledgeable remarks about my efforts to make a bird
cage for catching doves and quail (bob whites). I had made it from split
fire wood, with each separate piece about an inch wide and ½ inch thick.
The shape was like a pyramid, and the trigger was of the letter 4 type.
The trigger supported the upraised cage on one side. When the bird
pecked the food on the end of the trigger, the support gave way and the
cage enclosed the bird. Good enough Farrell said, for doves and quail,
but a bigger or smarter bird would tear it apart.) It would have taken a
pretty big bird cage to capture a turkey buzzard, but I’m sure Farrell
could have made it. Alternatively, he could have used any ordinary game
trap and just let the bird flap about until he got there.
Anyway, when the painted buzzard was released at prayer meeting by
whomever, it caused pandemonium. Remember, the church was lit by one
kerosene lamp, and the sight of a flapping white buzzard must have
caused many to regret all their sins, recent and past. Finally, the bird
got out an open window to freedom. We did not learn how its friends and
relatives accepted it back into the buzzard fold. We do know, though,
that Farrell was in danger of being thrown out of the human fold. He had
laughed too loudly and too long. However, in the darkness, no one would
admit to seeing Farrell bring in or release the bird. He brazenly denied
any knowledge about it. When angry and querulous deacons pointed their
fingers at him and reminded him that hellfire was coming, and soon;
Farrell just quoted Mathew 24:36 right back at them, “But of that day
and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father
only.” As I noted above, Farrell was not dumb; and he could think of
what he needed when under stress. It took some time for this episode to
pass into church lore and history.
As teen agers, Farrell and Dueward made billy sticks, or bully clubs, in
our carpenter/blacksmith shop. It was based on the idea of a policeman’s
night stick, but the business end was drilled out and filled with lead
balls. It was then sealed and wrapped in black insulating tape. It was
said you could knock a man unconscious and not leave a mark on his head.
They then carried these in their back pockets to events where they
expected trouble. We never knew if they were used, but they may have
prevented attack. Farrell graduated from the billy stick to a pistol
when he became an adult, but Dueward opted for Peaceful Co-existence and
never got into a fight that we learned about as an adult.
When my parents encountered Farrell, they always asked about the health
and well-being of his parents, and also about the families of his
brothers Newman, Clifton, and Drummond who lived nearby. Farrell would
answer in detail and in his turn inquire about Harold and Rudolph, who
had left our home. Those were the formalities of neighborly etiquette.
In private, our parents always warned us about Farrell as bad company,
personified. I believe my parents had also taken a larger view that it
was better for Farrell to be a friend of the family than an enemy. In
fact, every single one of us would have said, while Farrell was alive or
now, that he had been and was our friend. That did not mean we approved
of everything he did.