[Granville-Hough] 2 Sep 2009 - Fuller's Earth

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Dec 23 05:44:34 PST 2010

“All’s not oil that slicks,” by Harold Hopkins (used by permission).

“In the 1930s poverty was so much with the folks in my hometown of Mize
in Smith County, Mississippi, that many spent at least some of their
time letting daydreams of wealth and other unlikelihoods trickle through
their thinking equipment.
People still allow themselves such fancies, but for most there are no
longer any daily jousts with deprivation that remind them to let their
minds wander and wonder about what it would be like to lead a life of
unbridled luxury.
Most of us want our lives to be useful, prudent, and productive, and we
all hope to leave the earth a little better off than we found it; but
even the most conscientious of us must wonder what it would be like to
have the easy task of spending lots of money instead of grubbing for it.
Eventually age deprives us of our best shots at the brass ring.
My teen-age son once gave me a little money clip with the notation
“Poverty sucks” engraved into it, as if he knew a bit about that
condition and wanted me to take the hint. I realize that poverty is
relative and has a meaning at one time that it doesn’t have at others.
On the downside poverty can be unpleasant, unhealthy, and sometimes
terrifying. On the upside, it can be a test of one’s stamina and ability
to survive adversity. Most of us never lose hope that around the next
corner fortune, if not fame, may await. Many risk their money in
investments or gambling in the hope that affluence will suddenly strike
and bring long deserved rewards.
In the 1930’s the opportunity to get rich was considerably less inviting
than today. If you wanted to be a person of means, you had to
concentrate, and avoid wasting too much time and energy barking up any
tree that didn’t have a fat possum waiting to be caught and put into the
pot.
Promoting a plan, a product, or oneself is the way most seek quick
money. In the 1930s it wasn’t so easy. People had little cash to invest,
and they held onto it tightly. Only a few could be persuaded to loosen
their grasp if they saw – or thought they saw – a chance for a big
killing at small risk. Sometimes a promoter may be more trusting than
the people he’s trying to convince, and can lose his shirt if he fails
to discern when it’s time to fold his scam, and scram.
In small town Mississippi, oil wells have long been promoters’
favorites. Who can say whether there’s oil under your particular piece
of dirt, or anybody’s? Only your friendly geologist may know, and even
he can be wrong.
But when a gusher does come in, it can hit big. Oil speculating takes a
lot of perseverance, and a little bit of luck. The oil may spurt right
up from the ground near where you’re standing. The proceeds could
underwrite a big house, a big car, dining out, or hiring others to do
your laundry or make your beds. You could get shaved or massaged by
servants, and send your kids away to camp or college. Striking it rich
is a dream that has come true for some, but in the 1930s there were few
strikes just over the horizon. The prospect of an oil boom in
Mississippi seemed as remote then as looking ahead to a time when FDR
wouldn’t be president.
A few did let nothing them dismay. So it was with Mr. Albert Lack, a
kinsman of mine. The way Albert Lack saw it, if there was oil in Texas,
Louisiana, and Oklahoma, it had to be in Mississippi, too, and he set
about to find it. As events eventually proved, he was right, but some
years ahead of his time.
When Albert Lack announced his belief that there was oil beneath some
property he owned near Mize, many folks just smiled and said, “That’s
Albert for you,” and decided to keep whatever cash they had deep in
their denims. Others listened more attentively when Albert Lack talked.
Tests were made. People came from out of town and looked over Albert
Lack’s holdings, a mile or so west of Mize on Clear Creek. The
centerpiece was a fine, flowing spring, its waters seeping from strata
of white chalk and red earth on the side of a hill and forming a small
stream that found its way down to Clear Creek nearby.
On the big day, a crowd of fifty or so grownups, and a gang of tagalong
kids like me, joined the march to Albert Lack’s diggings. There were no
early birds. Everybody went as a group, the kids scampering ahead to
show they knew the way to Albert’s spring. The pit, or pool, had filled
with water from the spring. And the people looked, and there on top of
the water was a large oil slick, its iridescent colors shimmering
beautifully in the bright southern sun. What now? Would there really be
an oil well? When would drilling start? Some who had been doubters now
began to show signs of oil fever. And the folks at Mize just sat back
and waited for the drillers.
But the days passed, and the weeks, and no drillers appeared. Other
events diverted attention elsewhere. After some weeks, Albert’s plans
for an oil well no longer seemed to be a subject of interest. But Albert
wasn’t finished. He announced instead that the terrain around the spring
was rich in a valuable substance called Fuller’s Earth which might make
him and any who wanted to join him almost as rich as an oil field would.
Fuller’s Earth? I don’t remember whether mining for Fuller’s Earth ever
began on Albert Lack’s land. Time has rubbed the sharper edges off my
memory. At that time and for years afterward, I had got it into my head
that Fuller’s Earth was a substance named for a person named Fuller,
like Fuller Brushes. A few years ago, I again ran across the words
“Fuller’s Earth” in the dictionary and I thought immediately of Albert
Lack back in the 1930’s. I read the definition of fuller’s earth: it
was, the dictionary said, a claylike substance used in fulling wool
cloth. Fulling cloth, I found, means shrinking it. Wool cloth is first
woven, and the loose weave is then shrunk to bring the woven fibers
together. Fuller’s earth acts as an absorbent to remove the natural oil
or lanolin that had expanded the fibers. Removal of the oils makes the
cloth shrink to become a more closely woven fabric that is warmer and
more durable.
Fuller’s earth also has other industrial applications for removing or
filtering out unwanted liquids. And then, not long ago, I learned it has
one additional use. I was in a supermarket that sells bulk pet food and
other pet products. You use a scoop to dip whatever amount of fuller’s
earth you want out of a barrel and into a bag, and pay for it by the
pound, exactly the same way the storekeepers at Mize did long ago with
sugar, cornmeal, and other food products sold in bulk form by weight.
Shoving the grocery cart ahead of me down the aisle, I glanced at one of
the barrels and its label stopped me in my tracks. It read: "Kitty Liter
– Fuller’s Earth.” Think of the joshing Albert would have received from
those wisecrackers on the street corner at Mize if they’d known that
Albert’s product was just the thing to keep one’s cats from doing the
unthinkable indoors when they couldn’t make it to a sandbed.”

GWH: I well remember the gossip about Albert Lack. Albert’s father, Will
Lack, was on the farm adjoining ours on the east side of our quarter
section, so we paid attention to what the Lacks said and did. My father
had once had trouble with the Lack sons because their dogs were killing
his sheep, which were grazing on the open range. We heard that Albert
had made a trip to East Texas to the oil gusher country, and the land
lay in hills and hollows just as it did in Sullivan’s Hollow. He came
back convinced that we had oil, too, because of the lay of the land on
the surface.
Then in 1936, we got our drillers and first well about a quarter mile
over the county line in Simpson County on Nevil Garner’s land. The rig
was similar to those of East Texas, made of wood 2 by 4’s and 2 by 6’s,
with a ladder on one side to the top. When the drilling was going on,
you could stand off to one side and see how they manipulated the drill
pipes. They got down about 3000 or 4000 feet, but found no oil. They
either gave up or just ran out of money. They abandoned and removed
everything except the wooden structure with its ladder. It was an
attractive nuisance for all daring kids, and a worry for Mr. Garner. My
cousin, Tom McAlpin and I tried climbing it, and Tom went to the top. I
got altitude sickness halfway up. Tom reported he could see all the way
to Magee. I was shaking with fear and couldn’t even see all the way to
the ground. We got down safely and scooted down a fence row where Mr.
Garner could not see and chastise us.
The oil boom did continue as exploration techniques improved. Those
families who had managed to hold on to their land did well through the
years. By virtue of my father dying without a will, I wound up with a
small share, as my mother and six brothers shared equally with me. Even
so, it enabled me to stay in the Army and live in decent communities. As
oil is now up and down around $60 a barrel, there may be still another
boom, or at least scavenger operations at the old capped wells.
The flow of money from the oil operations have made a great difference
to the county. One of the things which makes me mad is that
Eastman-Gardner, the old lumber company that stripped the land of its
timber, is one of the greatest benefactors from lease money. They still
have more land than anyone else because no one had enough money in the
1930s to buy it at $1.00 per acre. They are absentee landlords,
foreigners and Damyankees from Chicago, or someplace. Still ripping us
off after 100 years.