[Granville-Hough] 24 Aug 2009 - Disgraceful Killings

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Mon Dec 13 06:09:29 PST 2010

Disgraceful Killings.

During the 1930 era, times were hard, and men
looked for easy money. There were several killings which were not
matters of honor or revenge. They were simple killings for cash. One of
these happened in the Merry Hell area, where Dewey Sullivan, killed G.
E. Smith for $250.00 in cash. This put the community into an uproar, as
that was not the way it was done. A jury of his peers sentenced Dewey
Sullivan to a long term, which he had to serve at Parchman, working on
the State Prison Farm. No Sullivan would come to his aid. They all
remembered the commandment from Moses in Deuteronomy 27:25, “Cursed be
he that taketh reward to slay an innocent person. And all the people
shall say Amen.” At least all the Sullivans said “Amen.”
One of the rumors which circulated through the area was that Dewey
Sullivan had become a trusty at Parchman, and that he was one of the
most feared of all those who held that position. It was said that a
trusty who killed an escaping prisoner would get parole. They were
mounted on mules or horses with loaded shotguns to expedite that work.
After many years, Dewey Sullivan did get parole, and the reasons behind
his parole may explain why his family lived in fear as long as he was
alive. Prisoners who got shot trying to escape also had families who
were not above taking vengeance on those doing the shooting.
I did not personally know Dewey Sullivan, though I believe I had a
schoolmate, and one-year classmate, who married one of his daughters.
People spoke of him with fear and abomination, but his wife had friends
who were afraid to visit her after Dewey was paroled..

Dewey's brother, Harve, got into the New York Times with his
pronouncements of what he was going to do if the WW II nigger veterans
got too uppity. There was a black community and church up near the
railroad several miles from Harve, and I have another story about it. I
think Harve was interviewed by some Yankee journalist by chance and he
took the opportunity to sound big and brave. He lived far enough away so
that he was pretty safe from any danger. This was some time after the
War, and it may have coincided with increased Ku Klux Klan activity led
by one of my Magee High School schoolmates.

This Simpson County Klan leader had been an obsequious but cunning sort
of fellow who might have made an excellent procurer for a whorehouse.
The next fellow I met with that sort of personality was in the Army, but
that had been his occupation. We always referred to our fellow student
behind his back as "Fatso." He became the "Grand Cyclops," or whatever
the Klan leaders were called, and found his glory there. May God rest
his soul, and that of Dewey and Harve, as well.