[Granville-Hough] 22 Aug 2009 - The old school bus

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Sat Dec 11 04:37:08 PST 2010

The old school bus.

I remember Cousins Lillian and Clemmie Sullivan very well from my first
school days.  I started to school in January, 1929, when I was just past
6 years old.  My brother, Harold, was the school bus driver, and a
Senior in High School.  I would go with him as he picked up all the
children between the railroad and the old Mize-Magee Road from the
Simpson County line to Mize.  Our first stop was the Henderson and
Toodie Sullivan home on the county line, where we picked up Lillian,
Chapman, and Clemmie.  I would get to sit between Lillian and Clemmie,
and on cold mornings, Lillian would cuddle me up and keep me warm.  That
was most comforting.  Our school bus was a T-Model truck to which my
father had attached a home-built body with wooden seats down the sides,
and a row seat down the middle.  The school bus route was bid for
annually, and I suppose the lowest bidder got the route.  Our T-model
truck wore out, and we never bid for the school route again.

    My brother Harold Hough, the driver, was a handsome six-footer whom
the Sullivan girls loved to tease.  They were his classmates, and knew
all about his girl friends.  I recall the name they mentioned as his
chief girl friend as something like Gertrude Glisson.  Amidst all this
giggly banter, we would pick up McAlpins, Walkers, Yelvertons, Lacks,
Toneys, Allens, Austins, Hughes, Byrds, and Owens, and finally get to
Mize Grammer School, where the grade school kids debarked, then the big
kids were taken up the long hill to the Smith County Agricultural High
School.

It was not in the contract to pick up any children within two miles of
school, but I remember that most bus drivers would pick up the children
on cold or rainy days.  It was just the neighborly thing to do.  The
next thing I remember about school buses were that they were all yellow
metal frames, but with the same seat arrangements.  I think they came in
when Newell McAlpin became County Superintendent of Education.  His
brother, Drummond McAlpin was our driver for one or more years.