[Granville-Hough] 12 Aug 2009 - Community Schools

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Wed Dec 1 06:45:03 PST 2010

The Era of Community Schools.

At the end of the Civil War, there seem to
have been no public schools in Sullivan’s Hollow, particularly none in
the piney woods areas. For the few families fortunate enough to have
funds, they could hire tutors for their children. It is not exactly
clear how the people of that generation learned to read and write. In
fact, most did not. Census records show that my grandmother, Martha
Lenora (Miller) (Keyes) Hough, growing up near the Tom Sullivan family,
could read, but not write. My father thought he had gotten to about the
third grade by going to neighborhood schools on upper Cohay where
several families would get together and hire a teacher for about three
months each year to teach children their letters. Then about 1900, with
the flow of money from timber sales, neighborhoods began to develop
community schools. These flourished in the 1900-1910 era, and people
began to learn more about the outer world. The railroad across the
southern part of the county was a really modern outlet which allowed
teachers from the outside world to come in and for students to go out.
Soon, more progressive communities even installed community telephone
systems. The community schools soon learned about grading, which meant
separating children into grades at each level of learning, all the way
up to the 8th grade. There was much opposition to the concept of grading
because it did not allow each student to go as fast or as slow as they
liked. My mother, Elizabeth Richardson, and several of her siblings,
finished the 8th grade at Oak Hill School, then went to the County Seat
at Raleigh and passed the examination to become teachers. She and her
brother, Uncle Martin Richardson, then went to Newton County and taught
all the grades in a two teacher school there.