[Granville-Hough] 24 May 2009 - Taking Your Religion with You

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Tue Aug 31 06:18:10 PDT 2010

I am preparing this as a little chapel presentation
at Crean Lutheran High School.

  It came to me the other day that one line of my family had established
churches as they moved to new communities. It goes like this:
Stephen Cole brought his family from Great Britain to Pennsylvania about
1720.  They could not find enough land where they settled, so the sons
James, Mark, and John joined George Robinson in a new settlement in 1743
in what is now Roanoke, Southwestern VA.  This was the absolute frontier
where they had to build homes and clear land.  Mark Cole was
instrumental in establishing the first church, the Episcopal church,
which met in his home.  His brothers and others of the settlers
participated.  This was the first generation to establish a church.
However, his wife was Baptist, as were other settlers, so there was
great interest in the Baptists.
    James, Jr, nephew of Mark, moved to South Carolina, where he became
Baptist.  The Revolutionary War started and the frontier people had no
interest in fighting a war when they were already struggling to
survive.  James Cole, Jr, and his family moved back to Southwestern VA
where they learned that a man named Woodrow Bean had floated down the
river system all the way to New Orleans.  Eight families, Cole, Carter,
and others not recalled, decided they would build log flatboats and
float down to British land at Natchez.  They went to the Holston River
in Southwestern Virginia and built 8 flatboats, one for each family.
They floated down the Holston River to the Tennessee River, but they
lost one family and flatboat at Muscle Shoals at the Northeast corner of
present day Mississippi.  The other families managed to roll their
flatboats on logs around Muscle Shoals, then went on down to the Ohio
River, then to the Mississippi River, then down to the first British
settlement at Natchez.  The British gave them land in 1776 on what
became Cole's Creek, and the families established the first Protestant
church in what is now Mississippi, the Baptist Church of Cole's Creek.
This was the second generation to establish a church.
    After the war, Natchez was Spanish Territory and the Baptists on
Cole's Creek had to worship in secret.  In 1797, the United States was
able to get the Natchez area and the people of Cole's Creek moved south
and east. Mark Cole,  son of James  moved south and was  a charter
member of the Zion Hill Baptist Church in Amite County.. Then he moved
his family to Pike County and became a member of an early church there.
This was the third generation to establish churches.
    In 1833, the Choctaws ceded their land in Mississippi and moved to
Indian Territory (Oklahoma).  Five of Mark Cole, Sr's children moved
into the Choctaw land in Smith County and in 1851 joined in
establishing  Zion Hill Baptist Church of Smith County, MS.  John F. and
Lucy Cole were charter members. My great grandparents, Hiram and Susanna
(Cole) Miller were in that church.  This was the fourth generation to
establish  a church.
    My grandmother Martha Lenora (Miller) (Keyes)joined the Zion Hill
Church in January, 1862.  Later, after widowhood and remarriage to my
grandfather Frank Hough, they moved into another part of the county and
were charter members of the Fellowship Baptist Church of Smith County.
Today, the Fellowship Church has the most beautiful cemetery in Smith
County.  This was the fifth generation to help establish a church.
    My own mother, Nancy Elizabeth (Richardson) Hough, after WW II,
began to see churches closing as people left farming and moved to
coastal jobs and opportunities.  The remaining farm people could go to
the town churches, but they had little in common with the town people.
My mother helped establish the Eastside Baptist Church of Magee and
welcolmed all the farm people who had been members of the country
community churches.  It is really a farm folks church which meets in
town.  This was the sixth generation to help establish a church.
    My brother, Clifford Hough, helped my mother in establishing the
Eastside Baptist church, becoming the seventh generation to help
establish a church.  When I was a college student, I joined with John
Carter, who I believe was descended from the flatboat Carter family and
we went into the cotton mill section of Starkville, MS, and established
a church among the workers there.  Shortly afterward, I was inducted
into the Army, and so was John Carter.  The cotton mill closed, the mill
town section of Starkville was rezoned, razed and the families all
left.  So the church I helped establish did not survive.

David adds:  the closest I came to being an eighth-generation church
establisher was teaching Sunday School and later acting as Secretary and
Treasurer for Congregational Church of Almaden Valley, UCC.    I started
attending in 1987, however, well after it was established in 1965.