[Granville-Hough] 18 May 2009 - Korea

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Sat Aug 28 05:38:53 PDT 2010

Quite a number of us from Sullivan’s Hollow spent time in Korea,
later called “Frozen Chosen;” and probably none remember the experience
with fondness. My time there was in 1947/48 in the aftermath of WW II;
and by the time North Korea invaded South Korea, I was in Panama
protecting the Panama Canal. Our main contribution in Panama was that we
trained Puerto Rican soldiers who were sent as individual replacements
to the units fighting in Korea. They either joined the 65th Infantry
Regiment (a Puerto Rican unit), or an artillery battalion.

The sad fact about the war in Korea was that we miscalculated our
position and strength over and over. We were actually unprepared and
undermanned. Our divisions had been cut by one-third, then the remaining
two regiments had been cut by one-third each. In trying to come back up
to strength, we placed raw recruits where experienced veterans were
needed. Of our 50,000 losses, over 30% were accidental, or the result of
“friendly fire.” That means about 15,000 deaths were unintended, a whole
division. It was more chaos than organized campaigns.

When I served in Korea, I was in the 24th Corps; but I was never
consciously aware of General Douglas MacArthur as Commander of the Far
East. He apparently ignored the place called Korea, and his staff
members in their memoirs stated he turned that part of his command over
to the State Department. Then, after the war started, he was
out-generaled by Mao Tse-tung; and I am sure the Chinese generals are
well-schooled in the lessons of that war. Harry Truman was well advised
to relieve MacArthur as Commander.

It does not seem we have learned much. We were later defeated in
Viet-Nam, yet we went on a few years later into Afghanistan and Iraq,
two wars at once. Who in his right mind would advise such a thing? How
will we get out, or survive, this situation? We have managed to make a
punitive action against a small group of Muslim criminals into a
cause-celebre for the whole Muslim religion. I suppose it could be
called singular ineptness. Whether or not we do survive the immediate
confrontation, the Muslims remember the Crusades; and they remember how
they eventually won.