[Granville-Hough] 12 May 2009 - more on Lumber Camps

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Sun Aug 15 06:24:15 PDT 2010

From: harold hopkins <hhopkins3 at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: LumberCamps  12 May 2009
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 10:36:41 -0700

At the house where I grew up in Mize , on a white chalk hill
overlooking the Mize Elementary School across the road, our backyard
was within sight of the old E-G line that forked off the railroad
between Laurel and Mize just east of Mize, and I used to watch from
our backyard and count the empty and full logging railcars going
northwest  to and from Laurel and Cohay Camp.  About 1935  I visited a
teenager named Ezra Rogers, who  lived there at the camp.  We had to
walk there from Mize, which was a good distance.  I cannot now
remember whether we walked from Cohay to Raleigh and from Raleigh to
Mize.  I don't think we walked directly down the railroad line to
Mize.   Ezra was a few years older than I and he had walked to Mize --
or walked first to Raleigh and then to Mize -- for the purpose of
courting the girls at Mize. The day I visited Cohay, there was a
small  tornado and the residents -- or some of them -- climbed into
what I would guess was a community storm pit, in which there were
several dozen people,  maybe close to a hundred.  I had walked up the
old Eastman Gardiner RR line to various fishing holes on Cohay and
Hatchapaloo creeks fairly often, but never all the way to Cohay Camp.

At one time, mail was delivered from Mize to Cohay by a small gasoline-
driven railcar somewhat similar to an automobile. I seem to remember
that some of these rail vehicles could be operated by a hand pumping
device, but my memory's not that good.

George and Silas Gardiner and Lauren Eastman, their in-law, were
lumber industrialists who ran out of trees in Iowa and moved to
Laurel, Mississippi,  about 1890 where the hills and coastal plains
for miles around were heavily timbered with longleaf pines and sold
for only a few dollars per acre by dirt farmers, who  didn't have the
labor to clear out the pines for agriculture. After the trees were cut
off the land was then resold to farmers, although the turpentine-laden
stumps usually remained in the group until the 1940s and World War II
when they were pulled up for making explosives. Unfortunately, under
Mississippi law, the mineral rights are separable and the seller is
not required to include the mineral rights along with the land, as in
Louisiana, for instance.  So the lumbermen from the north -- or their
heirs -- mostly retained these rights,  and benefited from them so far
as I know, without having to pay taxes on them. Now, when you buy land
in Smith County, for one, the mineral rights may be retained by an
earlier owner, or may be purchased separately from him. Mineral rights
also can  be leased separately to oil prospectors.  I think the
landowner may get a small portion of mineral proceeds from the lessor,
and I suspect something has to be paid to the landowner for rolling
machinery and pipes over his property, fencing, roadways, etc.

Those converted railcars that served as dwellings at  Cohay camp were
also in use in other parts of Smith County -- at last in the 1930s.
They were called "shacks," and when I was a kid I used to think all
"shacks" were converted box- or rail-cars.