[Granville-Hough] 2 May 2009 - Apply Here

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Mon Aug 2 07:22:16 PDT 2010

The messages I get from the Republican Party by the internet, and the
lead articles in some newspapers, remind me each day of who got us into
a state of economic ruin, and who made every effort to rescue Wall
Street in 2008. We have Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh yearning for the
good old days of weapons of mass destruction, off-shore
interrogation/torture centers, alternative but favorable intelligence
sources, falsified accounting methods, etc, etc.

Apply Here! No Brains Required. (Freely adapted from Robert West)

At West Point, we paid careful attention to Napoleon’s Maxims; and at
one point or another during my initial (plebe) year of training, I
learned all of them. At least I could recite them on demand from some
upper-classman. Robert West had a takeoff from one of them.
“Napoleon said that the man who never makes a mistake never makes war.
Those who content themselves with pointing out the mistakes and blunders
of those who are in the struggle, are making, themselves, the greatest
of all blunders. Nothing is easier than fault-finding. No talent, no
self-denial, no brains, no character are required to set up in the
grumbling business.”

Now, I do remember some grumblers and fault-finders when I was growing
up in Sullivan’s Hollow. Some were almost as talented as the Republicans
in their deflections of blame. I would agree with Thoreau that some
would have found fault with beautiful red glows of the morning sunrise
if they had ever gotten up soon enough to see them. Some may even now be
finding fault in Paradise.

But on reflection, I am a little more charitable. Some of those I
specifically remember as grumblers and fault-finders were actually
terminally ill and died within a few months or years. They did not feel
well, and, because they either knew, or did not know, the nature of
their illness; they vented their wrath on any and all in their path.
People would avoid them, even to the extent of finding excuses not to
visit them in their final days. Words of criticism lasted a long time in
the memory of victims who did not feel they were merited.

So we could place a billboard in Sullivan’s Hollow, or anywhere else for
that matter, which states: “New Site for Grumbling Business: Apply Now!
- No Talent, No Brains, No Character Required, Republicans Especially
Welcome.”