[Gocamino] La Puy Route in late October and November? Too late?

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Sun Oct 5 19:30:45 PDT 2014

I have been wanting to walk to Pamplona, starting a few days north of the border, perhaps Arthez.  I have an opportunity to do so now, probably starting in two weeks or so, which means late October to early November.    Is this too late?   I am more concerned about gites being closed than the Pyrenees.   I would not cross the mountains unless and until there was a favorable weather forecast.  I understand that one makes reservations in France, which presumably would minimize the risk of arriving in a town and not having a place to stay.  Looking at my Miam Miam Dodo, it appears that some places are open April to October, with others open "Toute l'annee".

About me:  I walked 300 km from Leon to Santiago in 2002, averaging 20 km/day.  However, I am now over 60, and would plan to average 15 km/day this time, probably with an absolute limit of 25 km in a single day.   My Spanish is good, my French is OK.

My alternative would be to start in late April 2015, which might be more prudent......

Comments?  Thoughts?

Richard

Sculptures in copper and other metals
www.fergusonsculpture.com