[Gocamino] Wise pilgrim

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Wed Jul 31 16:51:06 PDT 2013

I know that it is not that way for many people, but for me, pilgrimage is a religious activity.  In the case of Santiago de Compostella, it is for many people, a Christian religious activity.  I don't mean to denigrate those who walk for spiritual or other reasons.

Let me compare the pilgrimage to another, and perhaps similar, religious activity, a retreat.  In a retreat, one would not be talking on one's cell phone, or checking their email every few minutes, or listening to popular music.  One would be primarily praying, thinking, and reading.   Does that mean that somebody on retreat never checks their voicemail or email?  Probably they do check their voicemail and email from time to time, but not every 15 minutes.

Whether or not your own pilgrimage is religious in nature, I think that for many people, the Camino a Santiago is spiritual in nature.  Maybe your pilgrimage is more like a retreat than you think.  Or maybe your real goal is to take a break from your regular life and think, again kind of like a retreat.

This article discusses cell phone and internet use during retreats.  The author says, " I couldn’t properly retreat and bring the internet with me."  That would probably apply to me as well, as kind of an internet addict.   http://www.challies.com/christian-living/retreat

Putting this into the context of a Buddhist retreat, I quote the following from "Retreat Etiquette".  "Cell phones are not permitted in the meditation hall. Cell phone use should be strictly limited during the retreat. If you need to make or receive an important call, please do so out of the sight and sound of the other retreatants." http://www.wondharmacenter.org/v3/programs/retreat-programs/149-retreat-etiquette

>From another Buddhist retreat center:   "retreatants are asked not to use mobile phones, laptops or ipods during retreats. We provide safe facilities where these and other valuables are left for the duration of the retreat."

For me, the pilgrimage to Santiago is getting away from my regular life, doing something completely different, taking on a challenge, being a long way from home, even speaking a different language.    I am thinking now that maybe I can't go on retreat/pilgrimage if I have my phone turned on in my pocket.

Grant makes a good point, that pay phones and internet cafes are becoming things of the past, such that a mobile phone and some kind of internet device may in fact be necessary, if only to reserve a place to stay, or keep the family at home happy and informed.  Maybe I need to bury my phone in my pack, and only get it out once a day, or if I have a genuine urgent need.

My two cents,
Richard