[Gocamino] [saintjames] All the pilgrim numbers from Santiago - the first 6 months 2013

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Tue Jul 2 08:36:37 PDT 2013

Hi Johnnie,
Thanks for the data.
I am presently in Milan (hot, and terribly crowded)... after having attended Wagner's Ring at La Scala which was magnificent beyond words..... As it was expected to be with Birenboim conducting the Munich Philharmonic and Irene Theorin and Waltraute Meier singing Brunhilde and  Siglinde how could it be anything but glorious. Unfortunately, the scarcity of fair-to-middling male Wagner singers makes itself felt.
At any rate, two Wagnerited from Dublin who have walked the Camino twice told me that there are flights from the British islands to points in the Camino for would-be-pilgrims for less that 100 pounds round trip! That is incredible, given the serious increases in the cost of air travel.
Tomorrow I,ll go to Rome and will visit the Santiago albergo/hospital there.  I know that  the last Popes going back to John XXIII walked the Camino as pilgrims at least once, and I'm dying to find out whether Pope Franco (as they call him here..... Papa Pancho in Spanish  America..... and so on) was ever a Camino pilgrim.  I should think that a Jesuit priest sworn to poverty would have found it difficult to go to Northern Spain all the way from Argentina...... but one never knows.
Hugs and kisses to beautiful Santiago and its lovely people.
Till soon.
Rosina

blaroli at aol.com