[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: New York Times Article on Walking the Camino

Sil sillydoll at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 11:46:36 PDT 2013

Just to add to what Rosina has told us of Martin Sheen:  His father was
from a small village in Galicia, not far from Santiago de Compostela.  His
mother was Irish.

 Martin Sheen was born Ramón Gerardo Antonio Estévez.  He adopted the stage
name Sheen as a tribute to a Catholic Bishop, Fulton Sheen, who was an
activist  he admired, to help him gain acting parts.

When they tried to get Hollywood backers for the film, Emilio Estevez says
that Hollywood backer’s eyes glazed over as they described the story – no
robots, no violence, no vulgarity.  They didn’t get any support.  Dave
(producer), Martin and Emilio went to Spain and found some believers there
to make the film.

On filming with his son, Martin Sheen said in an interview that working
with Emilio was a lot of  fun, that he is a great director and that he is
the only director he’s worked with who says, “Action, please!” and “Cut
please” and “thank you” at the end of filming.

Emilio says that his naturally gregarious father constantly chatted with
onlookers and was happy to sign autographs, even in the middle of shooting
scenes.  As a producer he was concerned that Martin wouldn’t easily get
back into the stern, unfriendly character he had to play in the film.

--
Sil
https://www.amazon.com/author/amawalker