[Gocamino] Fwd: if you have presented to a group about the camino

Wilna Wilkinson twoxscotch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 00:08:15 PDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wilna Wilkinson <twoxscotch at gmail.com>
Date: 10 July 2012 09:04
Subject: Re: [Gocamino] if you have presented to a group about the camino
To: Michael Barham <holy.lingering at gmail.com>

Michael

In my experience - and I mostly speak to groups who have read/heard about
my book about the Camino (The Way of Stars and Stones), the main thing you
want to bring across is what it is like to walk every day, day after day.
Then they want to know about sleeping -- remembering that sleeping in
refuges or churches or dormitories/bunk beds/ -- the snoring! -- is
completely alien to most people -- so that is always a fascinating aspect
for them, and they always want to know about food -- where and what and how
do you eat.
They are also fascinated with the passport and all the stamps -- always a
winner as a 'show and tell'
The myths and legends on the camino they love.
Why the shell and its meanings
And the most important question on everyone's mind is WHY did you do it.

I think the main thing to remember is the fact that the entire world of the
camino is so far out of the frame of reference of anyone who has never
walked a pilgrimage, that it is really the everyday mundane little things
that fascinate them. If you describe a typical day in the life of the
pilgrim, that is already like giving them a glimpse into another world.
And a tip for you: be prepared to go with a mass of information but then to
use little of it and be side tracked all along the way. Rather respond to
their questions than sticking stubbornly to what you have prepared and your
talk will be exciting and fresh and inspirational!

Bune camino!

Wilna Wilkinson

--
Wilna Wilkinson SC, FITC
Le Chateau

The Way of Stars and Stones -- Thoughts on a Pilgrimage
ISBN 978-0-77009-749-0
Now available on http://www.amazon.com

A walk of 800km down a medieval footpath under the stars of the milky way
in Northern Spain -- for a friend
Blog: http://thewayofstarsandstones.blogspot.com
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Way-of-Stars-and-Stones-Thoughts-on-a-Pilgrimage-by-Wilna-Wilkinson/199770904568

--
Wilna Wilkinson SC, FITC
Le Chateau

My African Odyssey: Follow with me the fragrance of shooting stars :
http://thefragranceofshootingstars.blogspot.com