[Gocamino] [saintjames] In Spain, Church Candles Go Digital

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Wed Feb 29 16:37:16 PST 2012

As I remember, from my childhood days attending church, (most unwillingly), the whole point of lighting a candle was the seeking to understand that life, as we live it, begins.... and ends. "Velorios",  in most Latin-culture countries the funeral vigil for those who just died, are signified by "velas"..... that is,  candles,  as an imagery that like candles, lives begin and end. That is pretty much the message of Ash Wednesday: we come from ashes and to ashes we shall return".
In this context digital so-called candles and the like are an oxymoron of the traditional message.  Methinks that whatever we do things, and lives, will begin, and will end, like  candle.
But the maintenance costs of the Santiago Cathedral, and of all like edifices (electricity, cleaning materials, structural support, etc) continues to mount and mount, and whatever helps them "make it through the (economic) night" cannot realistically be resented.
But if they ever replace the Botafumeiro "boleiros" with an automatic computer-directed program I will scream and holler..... even if from beyond the grave!
Hugs!
Rosina
blaroli at aol.com