[Gocamino] Article by Martin Sheen; question about the movie; Russian concert at the Cathedral

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Sat Nov 19 08:14:00 PST 2011

Hello you all,
In the latest edition of the AARP magazine there is an article written by Martin sheen entitled "My Road to Truth" in which the actor writes about his commencing the Santiago pilgrimage in 2003 with his grandson; it is a personal narrative only tangentially referring to the movie. Because attachments cannot be sent over this medium, I have scanned the two-page article and will send it to anyone who would like to read it. Just let me know.
I remember posting messages here about running into Martin Sheen early in the morning at the Cathedral. He was walking behind the altar, with an elderly priest, looking at the little chapels there and talking about them with the priest in perfect Spanish. Later, when he had emerged into the front of the church some people went up to him and asked, in English, "Aren't you a famous movie star?" and with that smile of his he replied:"Today I'm just a pilgrim".  In the afternoon he was walking around the town with a young man that turned out to be his grandson. A couple of years later I read that his grandson had met a young Spanish woman in the Camino and married her, but I did not know until I read the AARP article that the grandson remained to live in Spain.
My parish in New York City has several distinct congregations, including a Brasilian one; when the movie "The Way" was finished about a year ago it was made available to various groups, and it was shown in my parish where I saw it, twice, I think. Two weekends ago while in the country I was aked to give a talk about the Camino to a group of members of the parish that I attend when I'm there; they were going to see the movie at a commercial movie house and were having a reunion afterwards. I declined to give "a talk" but I did volunteer to answer, as well as I could, whatever questions they may have about the pilgrimage. I went to see the movie with them at the local movie house and it seemed to me to be noticeably different from the original version; contracted, or edited, or something. Does any one know whether the movie was altered for commercial distribution? If so, I wonder why.
Lastly, as part of the observance of the Santiago Cathedral's 800th anniversary, the 80-members Sinodal Moscow Choir, founded in 1721, will give a concert at the Cathedral on November 23. The program is entitled "Russian Spiritual Music XV-XXI" and will be conducted by Alexey Puzakov, a highly honored Russian artist. Admittance will be by invitation only, but any pilgrim wishing to attend can pick up an invitation at the Archconfraternity office by the Cathedral or at the Pilgrims' Office.
Have a nice Thanksgiving everyone, and let me know if you would like me to send you the Sheen article.
Hugs!
Rosina