[Gocamino] trip summary - Camino Mozárabe

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:35:21 PDT 2011

The Granada to Mérida route is described as walking through olive groves.
That is true for many parts of that, but by no means think that this is a
bad thing. There is more variety in the olive orchards than in your average
conifer forest. In many areas the spaces between the trees were carpeted
with wildflowers. The distant hilltops sometimes have crumbling towers. In
one area you walk for at least 6 km on an old roman road. In this case it
was covered with 6 inches of Spanish mud.

We saw no walkers at all on the route. In the one alburgue where we stayed
(in Moclin), no one else had been there for over a week. In Córdoba in the
hostal we met two German pilgrims, one who had hiked from Granada and one
from Sevilla, and they planned to continue to Santiago. We had to end the
trip in Córdoba due to some knee problems. The weather caused us to do more
road walking than planned. Some of the streams were quite intimidating with
the high muddy water from the storms.

Some trip notes on either the cfsj guide or Alison Raju's guide for those
who are planning to do this route:
Maracena: You don't go in the town. Continuing along LH bank of Arroyo del
Baranquillo means just continue straight ahead along the left side of this
concrete lined ditch with water running down it. Eventually an arrow will
make it obvious that you cross the ditch.

Atarfe: Most shops are past the Plaza de Espana (the first square you
encounter).

Pinos Puente & beyond: Pinos puente waymarks continue down main st to edge
of town not turn right by church like guide bk says. at far edge turn right
follow major 40 ft wide gravel rd 6 or 7 km till paved again. Soon after go
right on dirt farm rd waymarked. Soon you see Los Olivares ahead Tiena to
left. You can't see Moclin. Entering Los oliveares first bar on right has
food.

Moclin: Moclin out of sight behind and above Los olivares. Moclin alburgue
on right as you enter square. Get key from bar in square. Power goes off if
dryer and heater on at same time. breaker box just inside front door.

After Moclin to Alcala: After moclin to Alcala on roman road many km first
few k very muddy loaves on feet. When we hit 432 we road walked rest of way.
Beautiful green rolling hills old towers.

Alcala to Baena: Took taxi to rio guadajoz bridge 432 km marker 152 cut 27
km walk to 20 km. Susan knees bad. Walk thru olive groves very nice
wildflowers between trees. Passed lake full. Trees huge base trunks usually
3 trees.

Some links for further detail:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKaGZ0rsJo>
Youtube Camino Mozarabe 2011 Granada to