[Gocamino] [Santiagobis] The Camino and Spain's Economic Situation

hme347 at aol.com hme347 at aol.com
Sun Jan 30 06:11:42 PST 2011

Having recently visited mostly northern Spain (San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander, Aviles, A Coruna, Santiago de C. and Salamanca) I can report that economic conditions are bad, but not dire.  Since I was Couchsurfing, I stayed with individuals in their homes in each of these foregoing  places so I believe I have a fairly good slant on things. I was told that the south of Spain with 20% unemployment was more severely affected than the north with 10%.  I have not personally verified these statistics.

If you are out of work, the outlook is bleak. Students are considering opportunities abroad since the job market is so weak.  Government employees, including teachers and professors, have been forced to take a 15% cut in salary. For most people, however, things are business as usual - shopkeepers, transportation workers, medical professionals and the like.  In Salamanca I saw a large, semi-abandoned, almost completed, new garden apartment development on the outskirts of the city - a product of the housing boom.

What impact this will have on the Camino is not clear to me.  Possibly fewer Spaniards will be able to travel for long durations.  My personal view is that the economic conditions in Spain will have only a marginal affect on the Camino since it has become such an international destination and a relatively low budget one at that.

Howard Mendes, NYC