[Gocamino] Camino Mozarabe Cell phone reception?

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:34:02 PST 2011

Ralph,

Unfortunately, Spain's largest mobile phone carrier, Telefonica (DBA 'Movistar'), does not publish coverage maps.
Here is a set of interactive maps of the 'other guys' .. you need to zoom ALL the way in on these ..
Vodafone: http://www.sensorly.com/Mapa/GSM/Spain/Vodafone/gsm-21401
Orange: http://www.sensorly.com/Mapa/GSM/Spain/Orange/gsm-21403
TME: http://www.sensorly.com/Mapa/GSM/Spain/TME/gsm-21405

We had nearly contiguous coverage OUTDOORS on the Camino Frances. Indoors is a whole 'nother thing: stone and masonry edifices kill cellular coverage quite proficiently. I would anticipate reasonable coverage along highways and train tracks connecting Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla. Once you head north of Sevilla, I would expect coverage to range from just adequate to very poor in some locations. Sorry there's not better news. Mobile phone carriers here in the US publish grandiose and hopeful coverage maps, but not everyone on foreign shores wants to make a similar statement. Spain is very mountainous, and solid mobile coverage is a difficult thing to pull off. I don't blame them for playing it close to the chest.

Buen Camino,

Grant

http://www.ElCaminoSantiago.com
Resources for the Pilgrimage Road to Santiago