[Gocamino] The Feast of Kings. James the Elder

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 17:15:56 PST 2011

Hello you all,
In fact, "Kings' Day", January 6th, is a big national holiday in Italy and everything, absolutely everything, is closed. In Latin countries, American or European the Christmas celebrations, rich and abundant in dinners, reunions, musical festivities, etc., as they are, do not include present giving. Traditionally children receive presents of January 6th, which is when the three Kings reached Mary and her new-born baby and delivered their (rather strange) gifts.
In Italy the gift-giver is "La Befana" that flies around on a broom delivering toys, or coal. The story is that as the three kings were in search of baby Jesus they stopped for a meal at a woman's hut. When she asked where they were going and they told her, they invited her to go along with them; she readily accepted, but she told them that she had to finish sweeping and cleaning her hut first, in particular its chimney. She urged them to go ahead and assured them that as soon as she finished cleaning she would catch up with them. When the sweeping and cleaning was completed she put presents intended for the Baby in an old stocking
and set off, but regardless of how hard she tried she never found the kings or reached the Baby, and she has been flying around on her broom ever since giving presents to children in the hope that one present will reach Baby Jesus. As recognition of her own mistake, and as a warning to foolhardy children, when warranted by ill behavior she will drop a lump of coal, or a handful of ashes, on a child in need of such warning.
And that is where the old woman flying on a broom, and the stocking, comes from.
As mentioned briefly here, there was a multi-media presentation of Leonardo's Last Supper in New York City at the Park Avenue Armory. It was spectacular, but, of course, can never compare with the real thing. It is extremely difficult to get to see the mural at the Santa Maria delle Grazie Monastery, (which is smack in the middle of the city). I was told that the average wait for tickets is at least a month; reservations need to be made and tickets ordered ahead of time. Some
hopefuls go to the Monastery in hopes that someone may have canceled, which almost never happens. Through a very lucky chance, the proprietress of the hotel where I stayed got a ticket which she gave to me. As always, only 10 or so people are admitted at a time and they cannot stay for one second more than fifteen minutes. Before going into the long and rather dark room (the former dining room of the monks) where the mural is located one has to go through an "acclimitizing" cubicle so that one's person and clothing will be at the same temperature as the room and that any air-borne bacteria may be eliminated. And, as always, it is impossible to describe the physical and spiritual impact that the fresco produces. It is hard to see through one's tears of emotion (even the men end up dabbing their eyes) and the 15 minutes go by like 15 seconds.
If you ever intend to go I would suggest that you make a reservation way ahead of time. The name of the fresco is "Il Cenacolo" which is probably the name in their website.
Of course, Saint James the elder is most vigorously part of the picture, he is the one sitting with his hands stretched as saying "What?" in anger and horror when Jesus has said : "One of you will betray Me". James' appearance is the one that most latter day painters would use as a model for Jesus. It has been said that after painting the face of James the Elder Leonardo could not come up with a more striking one for Jesus. I, for one, knowing beans about painting, do not think so. The face of Jesus, as eventually completed, could not be more significant: infinitely sad, tender, human, understanding, and forgiving.
There is a fairly large Confraternity of Santiago in Milan; I had no trouble understanding why in their office they represent Santiago not as a pilgrim, but as Leonardo painted him in the Last Supper. After all, who could, ever, better Leonardo?
Hugs!
Rosina
ps. I got a DVD about the Last Supper that shows how the fresco has ben used and abused by anybody and for everything over the last 500 years or so. I didn't know that Andy Warhol's last paintings shortly before his death were based, rather respectfully, on the Last Supper.