[Gocamino] Questions about the Camino

hme347 at aol.com hme347 at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 13:30:54 PST 2011

Sorry to inform you that you have a totally wrong slant on the Camino.  It is typically not an escorted tour with pre arranged meals and baggage transport.

Most people who walk the Camino do it on their own using one of the many guidebooks describing the route as their only assistance.  Meals are available almost at every point along the way where you stop for the night at refugios or hostels.  Human guides are rarely available; most people take a minimum of extra clothing and walk with back packs.  They carry water and food for lunches and snacks during the day.

There are some services that will transport your bags for you from one over night destination to the next.  But these are spotty, at best.

I suggest you read a book or two on what it is like to walk the Camino.  Shirley MacLaine wrote one that is amusing, but not to everyone's liking. Incidentally, I was 65 when I walked from France to Santiago de C.  I hope others will give you their take on what it's all about.  I encourage you to do the Camino and not worry the creature comforts as you would on other trips.  You do not have to travel with a group.  You will find new friends and have the trip of a lifetime!

Howard Mendes, NYC