[Gocamino] camino changes

Mary Wallis mvwallis at xplornet.com
Thu Nov 11 10:05:01 PST 2010

I walked Somport - Santiago in Sept-October. Biggest changes were pleasant - there were more cyclists but at least in my case, they were uniformly polite, sometimes stopping to chat or offer help, always greeting me with a Buen Camino, and always mindful that they were passing a walking pilgrim so didn't barge by or run me off the trail (except once but he was very apologetic).... very different from cyclist mentality in 1998 when I was there. I just couldn't get over how cordial and easy-going they were this time; they fell asleep (and snored) like the rest of us in the albergues, and they didn't smoke in the doorways while leering at the women, as I remember from before. Some people complained that they were up too early and rummaging around to go, but my recollection from 1998 is that the walking pilgrims did that all the time, except they rustled their plastic bags a lot more.

That's another change - not so many plastic bag noise in the morning.

A negative change - more wee-wee paper than ever, and the places where people left both types of excrement was unbelievable. I felt as if I was the only person who ever carried out my paper. I think people should if at all possible, plan their poops to consider the aesthetics of others.

I missed the rough yellow arrows, now often replaced by too many official signs that were covered in useless graffiti. Most signs told me nothing I didn't already know, but I could have used a few in the less obvious places.

Larger albergues now really more like standard youth hostels. Yes, lots of "shallow" pilgrims, but I was one of those too once, and if you practice a deeper pilgrimage and share that a little with the new ones, they learn from you and come to understand the rich possibilities behind something that may seem to be just a hike.

Lots of people like before who are way too attached to suffering and want to override their bodies' common sense and be some sort of tough pilgrim.

I loved my Camino this time, it was the best ever. The Somport Route is still the Camino's best kept secret - I highly recommend it.

Mary